iPhone 3G S - Reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JCD, Jun 19, 2009.

1. JCD macrumors newbie

Hi

I currently own a iPhone 3G. I'm quite happy with, but it has one big problem, the reception. I live in an area with doesn't have very good reception. With the Nokia E90 i can make phone calls without any problems. But with the iPhone 3G its' almost impossible to make phone calls... :mad:

Has anyone some informations or experiences regaring this with the new iPhone 3G S? How is the reception in areas with not so good network coverage?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best regards

JCD

2. JCD thread starter macrumors newbie

No answers? Please help me.... :(

3. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

You ask a question about a product that has yet to be released and expect a reply in 2 hours?

I would kindly suggest you give it a day or two before anyone can accurately talk about the 3GS reception.

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

might help.

used to get 3 bars at my desk, now get 5.

might be the iPhone 3GS is better, or the fact that yellowsn0w is not installed and it is not jailbroken.

5. bobbba macrumors regular

My coverage at home is pretty poor and while it's early days with the 3gs, it seems about the same so far.

6. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

You'll probably get some response as the day goes on not to many people actually have them in hand yet. On your point though I have to ask did you ever have the 1st gen iPhone with that aluminum backplate? Wow talk about poor reception in areas where most phones worked fine. The plastic back of the 3G seemed to squash that problem. I to am curious if anyone knows if there are more internal antenna's or more power at least on the same amount. Anyone crack their 3GS open yet? :p

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well it had actually been on sale for at least an hour or two. Give the OP a break :) I wouldn't imagine it would get any worse - Look to see what your carrier's mast upgrade plans are if you have problems with signal.

8. JCD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your answers.... and I feel very sorry for my impatience. It's just because I go for 1 week abroad and I thought, that I could buy the iPhone before the departure.... maybe. And I don't want to buy it, if there is the same problem with the old one.

Thank you again very much.

Best regards

JCD

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I have found nothing beats a Nokia in terms of reception. I don't expect the 3GS to be better than your E90.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Please

on thel question wait a few days at least if you want a real honest answer. even one day is not enough time to really answer the question. it will take a few days for real reviews to come out. the initial ones today will just be 1st impressions but ones like this will take a few days really.

11. JohnFa macrumors regular

If it's an area with bad reception you won't get better reception with another phone.

12. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

With the 3G I was always at 4 bars. I haven't dropped below 5 yet. I'm in South Florida.

13. Razeus macrumors 601

I have a hard time believing that it's "impossible" for you to connect...

14. BMac702 macrumors regular

Since the 3Gs has the same baseband and other technical details, until AT&T upgrades its network the 3GS will probably have the same reception as the 3G

15. JCD thread starter macrumors newbie

Does now anyone has some more experiences regarding the reception?

Best regards

JCD

16. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

We have 2 3G's and 1 new 3GS phone.

I put all three phones in the same location and let them sit for a couple of minutes without holding them. I then woke all three up to check the signal....
    The 3G phones both had 4 bars while the 3GS had only 3 bars.
    I tried this multiple times with the same results....The 3G phones definitely had better reception. I hope that this is something that can be solved with a update fix.

17. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Nokia is hard to beat and is definitely one of the best out there. In Asia reception is good but in the US reception is poor because everything is so spread out and they have less reception towers than they do in Asia.

18. timdafweak macrumors 6502

timdafweak

I for one am seeing TERRIFIC reception over the 2G iPhone. Whereas inside my house I could see one bar on my 2G iPhone, my 3GS shows 3 bars at least, and blazing 3G speeds. Same when I am outside, at work or elsewhere. I am very impressed indeed.

19. JCD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you alot for posting your experiences. It seems that I have to buy a N97 or something like this. I'm not that lucky about this, because the iPhone 3G has been, except the bad reception, a very nice phone.

Best regards

JCD

20. Sebby macrumors 6502a

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you don't want the Nokia, which personally I don't know much about, I can tell you that BlackBerry phones typically have very good reception.

If you need to stay on AT&T, check out the Bold or Curve 8900.

Though, honestly, I think the iPhone's main problem is AT&T. Very time I get pissed at poor signal issues, the coming-soon Verizon BlackBerry Tour starts to look good. But I have yet to try my new 3GS at work, where most of my signal issues are.

22. aked1217 macrumors newbie

3GS Terrible Reception

Hi,

I have owned the original Iphone, the Iphone 3G, and now the Iphone 3GS. My reception is terrible. I will go from bars to no bars, from 3g to edge to nothing at all. It is really frustrating. I have so much invested into apple and AT&T between myself my wife and children. I have browsed the internet for all the little fixes. I have tried restoring and resetting network settings, I have tried a new SIM card and I have even tried the scotch tape trick.
    Should I go to an Apple retailer and get a replacement or have it repaired. Or, is it that the Apple Iphone gets terrible reception on the AT&T network. If anyone has any advice or additional fixes that may work that I haven't tried, please let me know. Or, should I just replace the phone. Thanks everyone. Look forward to the feedback, before I throw the phone through the wall.

Thanks again
    aked1217