iPhone 3G S WiFi VERY Slow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deejross, Jun 22, 2009.

1. deejross macrumors newbie

Just got my 3G S on Friday and I noticed that the WiFi speed on it is very slow and intermittent. How slow? 3G is actually fast....that's how slow. I gave my girlfriend my iPhone 3G. They are both connected to the same WiFi and I downloaded the Speedtest.net App on both phones to test.

On my girlfriend's iPhone 3G, she gets 4899 kbps down, 1431 kbps up. And on my brand new 3G S I get 191 kbps down, 1 kbps up. Again, both connected to the same router and tested in the same spot.

Any thoughts? This is driving me nuts! Thank in advance.

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Seems many say the exact opposite

You sure your Wifi isn't screwing up?

3. deejross thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely sure. I can reproduce these results every time. At best, I can get up to 1000 kbps, but that's still a quarter of the speed that my older iPhone 3G S gets. I have shut down the 3G S, restarted it, forgotten the Wifi network, and even set it up to static ip. Still no luck.

4. deejross thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to give you an idea of how slow it actually is, it took 30 seconds to load the google.com page. I feel like I'm on 56K.

5. deejross thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Holy crap, I just updated the firmware on my router and now I'm getting 9409 kbps down and 2588 kbps up. MUCH faster than the 3G, which is the way it's supposed to be. Strange that I had to update the router's firmware to get it working properly.

6. phillydude411 macrumors member

wifi very very slow!!

I'm having the same problem. 16GB 3GS is dog slow on my zyxel wifi router, can someone please help!

7. btownguy macrumors 6502

Can you tell me this? Were you getting slow speeds on other wireless equipment (laptops)? I am getting slow speeds on my 3GS, but not my wife's 3G (with 2.0 software). Gonna update her to 3.0 tomorrow and see if she slows down as well.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

same

I seem to be able to get the SAME Download and Upload speeds that I can get with any laptop, mac or pc.

At Sbux now, just tested, getting 1150 down, and 1250 up,

laptops showed 1149 down and only 910 up, but that could be users/usage fluctuations

9. urlme macrumors newbie

Test results -- FAIL

I fully concur. My 1G phone without the 3.0 update is running fine alone with my laptop. The 3GS drops the signal, has low strength/speed, or fails to reconnect. Speed test is as follows. Notice the wifi test, then I did a network reset as recommended by some threads, then retested. Same thing. 3G network is fast--WIFI not.

photo.jpg

This is a big pain in the rear when you have to turn off WIFI because it is locking things up because it isn't switching, or running like a Hayes Smartmodem. Apple are you paying attention?

10. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Interesting. I turned off wifi cause I was noticing some slowness and Safari froze up on me. Could have been totally coincidental though.

I've got a Linksys AP at work and an Apple router at home.

11. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I'm having this issue as well on my 3Gs. I can't break 2.5 Mbps with any of the speed tests except with the Xtreme labs one I can get about 7.5 Mbps.

My own speedtest app, speedtest.net app and dslreports app all get around the same 1 - 2.5 Mbps and I have a 12 Mbps connection.

Does anyone know if this was fixed in the 3.1 Beta? I haven't had time to download it yet.

12. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

If you can put your router into 802.11b instead of 802.11g that will allow it to get about 4 - 5 Mbps.

13. ttt123 macrumors newbie

3G S wi-fi speeds

I noticed that my 3G S was not much faster than the 3G, and started looking for other people's experiences. I was getting about 2000 to 4000 kbps download (mostly around 2000-3000) and 200 kbps upload.

The comments in this thread started me looking at my Router settings. Router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, running DD-WRT firmware.
    I did the following changes.
    Wireless Network Mode: from mixed, to G-Only
    Wireless channel: from 6 to 7 (also tried 8 and 14)
    Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing): from 2000 to 1200 (meters)
    Frame Burst: from disable to enable
    Xmit power: from 70mW to 80mW

Speed Test speeds are now averaging 12000 - 13000 kbps download, 700-800 kbps upload.

One possible factor affecting things is that this is now 1:30 AM in HK, and so the network is much faster due to the time of day/less users.

However, I suspect that the changes made a difference. I'll try again during the daytime, so see if I can get regular download speeds of 10000+ kbps.

Though the above does say that it is worth trying different settings on your Router, to see if that can improve your wi-fi speeds.

14. lpcustom macrumors newbie

My Solution

I found a solution to slow wireless on my 3GS iphone here
    I found my solution to this problem here:
    iPhone 3gs slow wifi.

It talks about changes that can be made to your router's config. Though this doesn't help you much when you aren't home. My problem was on my particular home router though. I didn't notice the issue elsewhere.