iPhone 3G same SIM card as current iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, May 12, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone currently, i am thinking of selling it. However i know that 3G is a whole different type of sim, but will the iPhone still be able to hold the current iPhones SIM cards, the average normal cards? Cause i don't have a service on mine at all yet, i plan on buying a cheap phone and plan and switch the sims, can i do this when the 3G comes out or will it not have the same type of SIM Port? Also itll take a while till ppl jailbreak and unlock 2.0 firmware and iPhone safely, so is it worth it? sell mine? i bought it for $350 and i still have't taken off the screen cover that originally came with the iphone when i bought it and its been in a case, think i can get the same price back or better? and also sell it unlocked?

2. f1 macrumors 6502

There is pretty much no difference between a 3G and a non 3G SIM. a 3G SIM is just a SIM card that is guaranteed to work with a 3G phone and is backwards compatible with non 3G phones. Most SIM cards whether 3G or not will work with a 3G phone as long as they aren't older than approximately 5-6 years.

3. diddy macrumors 6502

The iPhone SIM has been 3G all along. This is a pic from Gizmodo, but mine looks just like it.

Pic

4. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i noticed that before with mine and was puzzled? why wouldn't they make the iPhone 3G in the first place? apple can be stupid sometimes, but nonetheless awesome!

5. f1 macrumors 6502

They've made that info public a long time ago, 3G cuts the battery life significantly. And almost all current AT&T cellphones ship with 3G SIMs regardless of whether the phone is 3G or not.

6. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

A "3G SIM" is pure marketing. As far as I can tell, any GSM SIM is 3G capable. AT&T slaps "3G" on all of their SIMs, just for marketing.

(Of course, someone more familiar with GSM is welcome to correct me. My assertion is based on about one minute of Googling.)