iPhone 3G scratch screen: any advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chimpboy74, Nov 26, 2009.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Apologies for this. I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but I did search and found nothing to help:

I normally have a screen protector on my iphone with the incipio case. Last week the screen protector was coming away and looked a bit tatty so I pulled it off. I then shoved phone in my pocket and only the following day relised my keys were in there too! S*ds law as I normally only keep the phone in an empty pocket and the one time with no screen protector I go and scratch the damn thing. Anyway....

I have insurance and they wont cover it because it is "cosmetic".

Apple want £146.00 to replace!

So my question is this. Anyone any advice on getting it repaired fairly cheaply?
    Can I do it myself (I once did this with a motorola razr but the screen I bought was a fraction of a millimetre too small on one side and it looked odd)

do screen repair kits like for car windscreens work?

the scratch isnt deep but it covers a broad area, like the key was rubbing more than anything. when using the phone it appears like a smudge.

Like I said I'm sure its been asked before so if someone cant pojnt me in the direction of advice I would really appreciate it.

I have decided not to upgarde at the moment (eligible in a couple of weeks) and go for a simplicity sim only deal to save a few bob.

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Change out the digitizer. If you can do it yourself and have the skills then it is cheap (£11). If you want somebody to do it, it is £50-60 which isn't the end of the world.

Cheers

Spencer

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Try putting another screen protector on it. My first iPhone had a scratch that became invisible once a screen protector was applied.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You can get an out of warranty battery replacement if nothing else is wrong.
    Bring it into an Apple Store, say that battery life is less than half. (It doesn't matter whether or not it actually is)
    If your iPhone is still under warranty, they won't give this to you. However, if you're out of warranty, you can pay $79 USD and get a refurbished one.

5. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I was actually wondering as well how to get a refurb 3GS. They don't seem to sell on apple store online. Can you walk into an apple store and ask to buy one?

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I don't think you can just buy a refurb over the counter as it were. They only give them to you if they're getting yours to repair it. (They then get another phone to refurb and sell on)

You should try and replace the digitizer yourself, it's really easy to do and costs a fraction of what Apple will charge you. Their costs cover parts + labour (paying someone to do it) So you can imagine why it is so much.

If you're not confident doing it just find a local repair shop that can do it.
    I'm based in Birmingham if you need it done.

7. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I'm based in Scotland unfortunately. I saw a YouTube video of a digitizer being changed. I may give it a go (although I don't gave a case opener)

where can I get a digitizer for £11. I guess it isn't an official apple part at that price.

8. jhonmagee macrumors newbie

try those window cleaner scrathch removers
    hope this helps:eek:

9. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Tried this and because it is not a single scratch but an area that has been rubbed the screen protector has actually made it more obvious. B*lls.

Looks like I am going to have to replace screen