iPhone 3g screen blank, not recognized in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by abaddon4180, Jul 6, 2011.

1. abaddon4180, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

abaddon4180 macrumors newbie

This morning I was trying to update my iPhone and everything seemed to be working fine until it started back up. Then it got stuck on the screen with the loading bar and Apple logo for a while and eventually the screen just went blank. Now I can't get anything to show up on the screen and it won't connect to iTunes, I suspect it is because it overwrote the old software but never finished installing the new so iTunes doesn't see it as an iPod.

I know the computer recognizes it is there, because it is listed in the Device Manager when I plug it in, and I know that the driver/USB cable is working because other Apple devices work fine with the same computer. I can't put it into DFU mode because my sleep button is broken. I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong here? Thanks in advance

2. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Download "RecBoot" and try to enter recovery then exit recovery mode. RecBoot should recognize the phone even if iTunes doesn't. If it's not booting up normal, I'd suggest entering recovery then do a full restore over again.

If it doesn't enter or exit recovery, you may need to get that power button fixed to get the phone booted up.

3. abaddon4180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn. Neither Recboot nor TinyUmbrella recognizes that it is there. I guess I am screwed

4. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Try rebooting your computer. After it boots, don't open iTunes or anything, just plug in the phone and try to open one of the two programs.

5. abaddon4180 thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck, it still isn't there. Now iTunes does open when I plug it in, though, but the iPhone isn't listed.

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Can you tell if the phone is on? For example, if you toggle the mute switch, does the phone vibrate?

The only other thing I can think of is to hold the home button while plugging the phone into the computer. It won't work if the phones actually on but it's worth a shot. Unplug the phone and while you're holding the home button, plug it in. See if that will force the phone into recovery mode.

7. abaddon4180 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it doesn't vibrate and holding the home button doesn't change anything. iTunes opens up but it still isn't there

8. Dave the Man macrumors newbie

Dave the Man

I don't know, try to disassemble the body from LCD and glass and then assemble the whole thing again.

But if you've never done this before, I'd suggest this as the last option.

9. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I would not recommend disassembling the phone if you aren't familiar with it. Taking the display assembly off the phone won't do you any good anyway. If you ARE familiar with the hardware, you can remove the logic board to cut the power off from it. Then re-assemble the phone and try holding the home button while plugging it in.

As far as what else to try, it's hard to say. Maybe try another computer if available. My experience with Mac is RecBoot will normally recognize anything regardless off what iTunes can see. If you're computer sees it in the Device Manager but iTunes won't, maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes.

10. abaddon4180, Jul 6, 2011

abaddon4180 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've taken iPod touches apart, is an iPhone any tougher? What exactly would I even be taking it apart for, to remove/reconnect the battery cable?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. I will try RecBoot again, I just realized that I needed LibUSB installed for it to work. Maybe that would fix it. But, if it isn't there in TinyUmbrella, will it be any different in RecBoot?

11. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Very well could be. It's the main reason I recommend RecBoot. It will usually force it's way through any iPhone regardless of what the computer and other programs are seeing.

As far as taking it apart. The 3G is fairly simple. However, the battery just rests below the logic board creating a contact point. There's a ton of guides floating around that show you everything step by step. If you were to take out the logic board, it would disconnect from the battery itself because there is no cable or anything.

12. abaddon4180, Jul 6, 2011

abaddon4180 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just took it apart and put it back together, getting the '3' cable in was annoying as heck, still the same. Trying RecBoot right now.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

When I first started iPhone repair quite a while back, the 3 cable really pissed me off but I've since gotten a magic hand for it. :p

14. Dave the Man macrumors newbie

Dave the Man

Sorry for wasting your nerves :D

15. abaddon4180 thread starter macrumors newbie