Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smt1192

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Hello, I have a black 8GB iPhone 3G and have had it for 5 months now and have had no problems. Today, I locked the phone (hit the top right button) , and the screen won't turn back on. The phone vibrates when it receives a call, but the screen won't turn on. It has had no contact with water.

Help? Does anybody know what is wrong?

Thanks

Shawn D

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2008
I would take it to your closest apple store. They can diagnose it and if its under applecare, Replace it.

smt1192

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Ok thanks guys. I connected it to the computer and iTunes recognized it. I am doing a software reset. I can see the apple and the progress bar while I am doing the reset, so that is a good sign! If all else fails, I will take it to the Apple store.

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
That happened to me for the first time the other day. I went to unlock it, and the screen stayed black and wouldn't turn on. Doing a hard reset (holding the sleep and home buttons) got it to work again. I haven't had any problems since then, and hopefully I won't have any more.

smt1192

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
How did it go?

Great! Thanks for asking.

Did a software reset and it hasn't acted up since. Even have all of my data backed up in iTunes. Thanks for your help. Hopefully this won't come back again.

But I am rather curious what the issue was.

anagrama

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
still dead

this happend to me a few weeks back and I haven't been able to get it to work.
I've reset it and also restored it but nothing worked.

any ideas?

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
Mine does this from time to time but after furiously pressing the buttons it seems to decide to come back on :rolleyes: have had it completely go off once though but simply resetting it (hold the hold and home button) fixed the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.