iPhone 3G screen died and phone non-responsive

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bmwpowere36m3, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

My iPhone recently crapped out on me and I'd like to know what I can do about it. Currently my contract is up and I have the opportunity to get a iPhone 4, stick with iPhone 3GS or wait for the iPhone on Verizon (maybe :rolleyes:)... I've already removed the screen assembly and cleaned the phone inside and made sure all the electrical connections are good. Nothing has changed.

Symptoms:
    • Screen had a streak of stuck pixels which started small and grew across the screen (I always left the phone in my back pocket, i.e. I sat on the phone a lot)
    • Screen started to become unresponsive, i.e. press one button and two other adjecent buttons get pressed
    • ON/OFF button became unresponsive, i.e. pressing it sometimes nothing happened, other times the screen would go white, or cause the screen to flash
    • Screen finally became totally unresponsive
    • Screen finally died (i.e. blank, black)
    • Plugging it into the charger does nothing
    • Plugging it into the computer does nothing
    • Can't reboot it or can't see since the screen is probably dead

What to do or check?

2. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Al3x87 macrumors member

You must replace the display and the digitizer and... i'm not sure, but the motherboard has something too. You better get another Iphone then try to repair this one.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you can fix this phone. its most likely not a problem with the mother board. you will need to replace the digitizer, the lcd, and the headphone jack cable. it controls the on/off as well. but, price wise for a little more you can upgrade and get the new i4.

5. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured the LCD was damaged due to stuck pixels. But it was working, then flashed over white, flash on/off a few times (triggered by pressing the On/Off button) and poof... dead?

My thoughts were if the motherboard were still working, then by plugging it into the computer, itunes would still recognize the device (whether the screen worked or not). Or you would hear the beep when you plug in the charger.

6. Al3x87 macrumors member

Yes.. dead! Sell it for parts. Probably the motherboard is still in good condition. If you want to repair this phone, just get the Iphone 4, it's more cheaper.