iphone 3G screen is grey and glitchy!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duskandsummer, Dec 24, 2009.

1. duskandsummer macrumors member

This just happened today never had this problem. Its a new phone got it from apple as a replacement for my old phone.
    NEVER DROPPED IT..and NEVER SPILLED ANYTHING ON IT!

All of a sudden I go to unlock it by punching in my numbers and it starts getting this gray screen you can kind of see my background but only because its like staticy and glitchy in and out! So I reboot it and it doesn't show an apple just a gray screen and then when it loads it turns white and purple and blue glitchy rainbow moving up in down, after awhile it will do the gray glitch thing and you can see a little bit of my background.

If I press on the top right corner of my phone the screen may come back for a half a second and then glitch again.

I PROMISE I HAVE NOT DROPPED OR SPILLED ANYTHING ON THIS PHONE I GUARD IT WITH MY LIFE!

I really need help im freaking out!!

I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ALL THE BUTTONS WORK JUST FIND THIS IS AN IMAGE PROBLEM! I found out that some apps are clearer than others..there is still glitches like the image is in and out from gray to the actual image but idk what is going on..I really need help!

2. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

ANOTHER WEIRD DVELOPMENT!

I tried blowdrying it to see if it maybe water damage even though I HAVENT SPILLED ANY WATER ON IT! Now the screen works when I dry it with hot air and the phone is hot...but once it cools down it is back to being glitchy!!!

come on guys I know some of you guys are pretty smart..please help me with this problem..im about to cry over this!

3. danielb84 macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this problem figured out? I too have been having the same problem..Apple is working on it but I assume I'm just going to have to get a new Phone. The only time the "grey" screen happens is when the phone is cold. Once it warms up the phone works fine. Hope you found an answer.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I would assume this would be considered defective and Apple would replace it if its under warranty.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

LCD failure, sounds like.

Apple will replace it if the water sensor isn't triggered.

6. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Looks like just a loose LCD Connector - very easy to fix

Since you said that pressing the top right hand corner sometime makes the screen perfect.

The LCD connector might be just loose.

If you are within 1 year of purchasing your iPhone, then just go to Apple they would do it for free.

Otherwise open up the iPhone two bottom screws & use a suction cup.

Just press the LCD connector # 1. Do not open any connectors, otherwise you may have difficulty. Now after you press connector # 1, trying doing Power ON. If your LCD lights up perfect then you are good. If not then your LCD is dead.

-Ganesh

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Along as its under warranty, Just let Apple take care of it. Opening an iPhone is easy, but because its hopefully under warranty, why bother?