iPhone 3G Screen lock/Volume key/Sleep button issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Encephalon7, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Encephalon7 macrumors newbie

It's kind of hard to search for this problem on the forums since there are a wide variety of issues going on with my iPhone. One of the symptoms is that when I push the volume up or down buttons, it automatically locks my phone. Sometimes it seems like the down volume button is stuck down since it would not increase the volume when I push up and there would be the volume indicator stuck on my screen. Another symptom is when I tilt my phone in random positions, it gets my phone in/out of sleep. The weirdest part is, it happens at random times. One minute it could be working just fine, then the volume would suddenly go down and stay down even if I push the volume increase button. Other times, I would push the sleep/wake button and it would then bring up the power down screen.

I've tried soft and hard resets, removing applications, and full restore but the problem still persists. I haven't done anything strenuous with my iPhone other than walk around with it in my pocket. Any one else experienced this problem? Any solutions to it? Thanks in advance!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about your phone. It sounds like you need to stop by an Apple Store and exchange the phone.

3. LithiumXD macrumors newbie

Sounds like-

The headphone jack- ribbon which controls the
    Headphone Jack
    Volume up+down
    Mute Button
    Sleep wake button
    Vibrator

Has possibly become damaged or loose- if your feeling daring you could order a metal spuldger and poissbly push the cable back in (its just a push plug) If not you can easily buy new ones- but DONT lose the buttons that acutally control the sleep wake and volume.. thats what i did and they are impossible to find replacements for!

Nick

4. B-Ryan macrumors newbie

I am having the same problems. I can't tell if it's a hardware or software problem. It's like all the buttons spaz out and are pressed. Did you ever get it fixed?

5. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    I had the same problem. Took it to the ATT store and they told me to install and use an app to free memory on the phone. While this is an interesting app, it did not fix the problem. Applecare said it was a hardware issue and they replaced the iPhone. As long as you have any life left on your warranty, I would NOT suggest opening it up to try your hand at end user repairs. As a side note, there does not seem to be an app for "how to open and repair your iPhone -- yet! Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

6. mantram macrumors newbie

7. rjn239 macrumors newbie

Drop the iPhone from a small height and onto something hard but something that wont damage it.. it will fix the problem.. mine was the same as mentioned i had enough so lobbed it at my desk and it fixed :D

8. Namord macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G Pump up the Volume!

You cheated! You used the 'Easy" button!

My issue is a bit different. I have a phone that i changed the screens with 2 days ago and now it magically works fine (Water damage). The problem is similar to those already posted here.

My iPhone is acting as if I had the volume up button jammed in there. I can fix it by turning on and off the ringer and then adjust it accordingly. This happens at random and because is acting as if I had the button jammed in, the display of the volume doesn't go away. On another note, I cannot increase the volume, only decrease it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

9. Cunning124 macrumors newbie

Iphone volume and power button troubles

As of yesterday my Iphone decided to mix up the sleep/wake and volume up buttons. When I press volume up the volume icon flashes on the screen just before it goes to sleep. The same thing happens when I push the sleep/wake button too. I can even hold down the volume up button for a few seconds and power off my Iphone. I have an Iphone 3G. I have had it for a few years now and am sure it's no longer under warranty.

Any suggestions?

10. Jphilippon macrumors member

I have a similar problem, except in my case, the sleep/wake button works rarely, and even when it does, it requires an exact angle and quite a bit of pressure. Not convenient.

Hope I can bring life to this thread again, (warranty over), any suggestions? Preferably a script or something I can use to maybe change home(x2) to lock screen or something? anything? an app? help!? :[

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

the headphone jack cable controls the on/off button, the headphones, the ring/vibrate switch, and the volume controls. this is a time consuming repair and most likely cannot be done in a "dyi" fasion. its not a quick fix either. I do this repair several times per week (although I hate it!!)

12. Namord macrumors newbie

Curses!

Dear repairman:
    Is it possible that is the Loogicboard thats at fault? I'm going to have mine replaced and sent to me. A few night sago I was browsing the web and the screen flickered multicolors and then fade to white. so I hard reset and for a while while waiting for the phone to become useful the screen does the 'lightshow' thing and I 'whacked' it a few times (that seemed to work). Unfortunately, I might've oversone it cuz now when I turn it on, i see the Apple logo and instead of seeing a lockscreen I see nothing. No flickering or anything. Why?

13. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

of course it could be the logic board but In your case it is the lcd or cause you whacked it! never whack your iphone!! you could have a loose connection inside.

14. Namord macrumors newbie

I think there maybe a loose connection or a bad battery as well. When I plug it to charge the phone normally would show its battery strength. In this case it does what I said earlier. If there's a Genius amongst us reading this, please help us! Seen how iPhones can now be 'upgraded' to iPhone 4 for $199 (w/contract of AT&T). Please help.

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I just reread your original post and dont remember you saying it had water damage before. you may want to look at the dock connector. they go bad realy easy when wet. this could be causing your issue now of not charging or seeing the charging symbol.