iPhone 3G screen not responding/turning on ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xcrskim, Jan 28, 2009.

1. xcrskim macrumors member

Hi all.

I have an iPhone 3g 2.2 firmware and my screen hasn't been working today.

The phone still vibrates when i recieve a call or a text but the screen doesn't turn on, i tried resetting it by holding down the power and front button but no response.
    However, here's the twist.. the iPhone screen works when it is plugged into the wall charger. after i remove the wall charger, the phone goes back to being dysfunctional in about 5-10 minutes.

anyone know how to fix this ?
    thanks in advance !

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Take it to an Apple store and they will give you a replacement. Or you can try restoring the phone first.

3. xcrskim thread starter macrumors member

4. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Plug the phone into your USB Sync cable. Put it into the DFU mode and iTunes will see and ask to do a restore. Restore the phone and try again.

I had this problem with my Jailbroken 2.1.

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I think we all know to do this.:rolleyes:
    If you are on Mac OS X 10.5.6, your Mac will not recognize the iPhone in DFU mode. You have to use a USB hub and if that doesn't work then you will have to find a different computer to restore on. There is a "fix" out there but it only works 30% of the time and I am VERY skeptical about it. If something goes wrong like it crashes in the middle of rebuilding the cache, your mouse/trackpad could go out and you could lose functionality of your USB ports. You can try powering off while connected to a USB wall charger. Then open iTunes on your computer. Hold the Home Button while you connect your iPhone to the USB cord connected to your computer. Your iPhone doesn't have to be in DFU mode to do this.

David

6. Hman macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G Black Screen freeze

I just received a replacement Iphone 3G earlier this week from my local Apple store and within the 1st day noticed it would freeze with a ‘black screen’ after unlocking the phone with a password. This occurred intermittently 4 separate times within 24 hour period each lasting from 10 minutes to more than a hour. Fully resetting the phone (holding both the home and power buttons down for 10 seconds until the apple logo appeared) did NOT correct this issue. Immediately after entering my password (and this is the only time this occurs) the phone would switch to a black screen, however it does appear the phone is still on in the background (incoming calls ring, and some screen clicks can be heard). Power, screen touch, volume, and other buttons all don’t seem to be able to turn the screen back on
    A possible fix????? The 4th time this happened I noticed the screen itsefl actually appeared to be on in the background but with the brightness set so low ~ maybe 1% - that only the very slightest shadow of the screen appeared to be visible in the background. I went into settings > brightness and noticed “auto brightness” was selected. If I manually lower the brightness to the absolute minimum, I seem to get the same screen view that I was able to see during the last black screen episode.I have now turned auto brightness ‘off’ and have not yet observed the problem reccurring. A point of note I updated it to 2.2.1 last nigth after the 1st 3 occurnces, but it happened agin this morning for over an hour I couldn't get into the phone no matter what I tried. It was during this hour that I noticed the very very slight reminants of a screen view.
    My hypothesis. I have seen a lot of blog traffic indicating this problem is widespread and some indicate you need to disable the phone password as one fix. This indicates there is something in the firmware logic tied to using a password. There have been a lot of complaints about battery life and since it's release, Apple has tailored several of their updates for the 3G to tactics aimed at preserving/extending the battery charge. I believe there is a bug in these battery save algorithms that might automatically re-adjust the brightness to the minimum when inputting a password under certain but not all circumstances. I will keep folks posted if manually turning auto brightness off corrects the issue. If not, I still suspect there is an issue in the battery save algorithm/firmware that needs to be reworked, and it is also likely tied to situations where the phone is locked with a password.

7. BURumbler89 macrumors newbie

Freaked!

I just had a similar experience. I wanted to check the time so clicked the home button and...nothing. I tried again and again, and tried the unlock button and tried holding the unlock button...Nothing. I then connected it to my computer and suddenly the screen went through every click I had just done (including taking a screen shot apparently?). I thought all was fixed and unplugged it again. When I unplugged it the screen remained working and i flipped through a few screens to make sure. It was fine, I locked it again. I once again went to check the time and it wouldn't work again. This time I plugged it in and...NOTHING. I received the noises allowing me to know I recieved an e-mail and a txt at the same time but I couldn't do anything. I am in the process of doing a restore. Any ideas? I don't have an apple store anywhere near me, I don't assume AT&T will do much for me.

8. ejonathan macrumors newbie

2 Reset Buttons

I tried everything the previous posts suggests, but nothing worked. So I went to the Apple Store. I was there for only 15 sec. because all the person did was pressed both the HOME and the ON/OFF button at the same time for 15 sec. and the iPhone 3G restarted. All is well. So if you haven't tried this method...try it, maybe it'll work for you.

9. iphonefixer macrumors newbie

iphone repairing .....

Title:Is yourIphone screen damaged or not responding to touch

Description

Is yourIphone screen damaged or not responding to touch, Digitizer Broken,Is your Iphone water damaged and now will not power on, Home Button Sticking,Iphone Home page errors, Error Codes on restore, Battery dies

fast, IPhone has white screenIn need of Iphone repair, cracked housing, ran over your Iphone with a car

(it happens more than you would think), How to take apart Iphone, AppleIphone Warrenty let you down

Iphone Repair and Iphone fixer Kansas City KS 9134334947 Iphones can berepaired by theiphonefixer and repaired professionally at a price that is far cheaper than APPLE IPHONE REPPAIR.

*We offer the ability to, jail break phones with firmware under 3.2

Dropped your iphone in the toilet? Or have you experienced water damage to your iphone of any kind. Don't worry, we have seen about every type of

IPHONE DAMAGE you can imagine. We know how frustrating it can be trying to turn your iphone on after water damage with the iphone. The phone will not

turn on because of power issues. The good news is, your iphone can be repaired at little cost, as most of our customers have experience.The less you try to run power through a wet iphone the better. Things like Calcium deposits build on Iphone internals which short out resistors thoughout the Iphone. We made the protocal for water damaged Iphones, and our website lays it out in plain english on how to get your Iphone up and running in a few days.

iphones are not covered on water damage and apple will charge 200-500 depending on what is wrong with the phone. We OzTech the premier iphone fixer charge $99 dollars for 3g IPHONE 8GB-16GB flat rate repairs.

Our team, stock and company are growing because of the clients that we help,and we thank you so much.We are now integrading the site to be more informative about how the IPHONE is repaired,( honestly there are so many

Iphones breaking that we cannot believe apple had nothing in place

customer-wise for this issue. ) This price also covers other annoying problems you may have been having with the phone like:

IPHONE POWER BUTTON PROBLEMS, IPHONE SOUND PROBLEMS, IPHONE SCREEN PROBLEMSWATER DAMAGE, PROXIMITY ISSUES, HOME BUTTON ISSUES, We fix it all We cover it all for a flat rate. Also, after using us as your premier IPHONE REPAIR PROVIDER.

Check out

iphonefixer

or Call 913-433-4947

10. iphonefixer macrumors newbie

iphone fixing .....

Title: =Send I phone to:

Description

Send I phone to:

because it is hard to keep up with orders I am putting info on my email.

First thing is First...

If detailed questions are immediately needed contact me at 9134334947.

If you want to know the status of your phone, please leave us an email and

remember to say the name and address of which you are requesting

information. Phones take one to three days to fix.

I try to provide tracking numbers but I'm still setting up a system for

that. I have delivered confirmation on every item and now offer 2-3 day

shipping. This excludes Logic board repairs. They come from China and take

1-2 weeks.

3 We Offer to buy phones if they cannot be repaired.

I can fix any problem some are more detailed than others, and some require a

new logic board which is not covered in the flat rate phone.

Please do not send your box. Just bubble wrap and send it to

OzTech Electronics and Engineering

Christopher Gossage

2118 South 29th ST

Kansas City KS 66106

WE do not provide insurance on shipping unless paid to do so.