iphone 3g screen question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Aug 23, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is it made of the same glass as the previous iphone or is it plastic?

the reason i ask is becasue att says the iphone 3g is using a plastic screen to reduce cracking but is more scratch prone (they have a printout saying that which they also reccomend a case because of it)

however, every source i read online says its the same as the previous aka glass

2. yode macrumors 6502

3. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Dunno

I really can't say. I have been in store touching the screens side by side and they do not feel the same at all. I really actually prefer the feel of my 1st gen because it feels a lot more like glass. The 3G seems to use the same screen as the iPod Touch, whatever that may be made out of. In fact if you put an original iPod Touch and a 3G next to each other you will see the faces are identical.

Personally, I don't believe it is glass at all, perhaps plexiglass. That would certainly be a factor in making the 3G lighter as it obviously is.

4. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

During the keynote address I thought he said same screen. Do you have a link to where AT&T says it is using a plastic screen? I have never heard that before and I assumed it was a glass screen.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well at my att store they have printouts (looks like they typed up) on computer paper taped to the check out desk giving some faq's on the new ipod and one of them said they went to a plastic screen to reduce chances of cracking at the risk of being more easily scratched

it was news to me and wasnt sure if it was true or not but they sure made it sound like it was the case

6. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

they say that just so you will buy a case for it.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

so its glass?

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

When I used one it felt identical to my iPod touch screen which is definitely glass.

9. badnewz macrumors newbie

I don't think their the same for the reason that I've been noticing a lot more hair line scratches on my 3g iPhone than the original 2g iPhone wich I had since last years launch and belive me I take care of these 2 phones but yeah I have been seeing more scratches.

10. profetto macrumors regular

I don't think its plastic, I've seen pictures of cracked screens after being dropped, and I'm pretty sure plastic wouldn't produce a spider-web crack in the iPhone screen if dropped.

That being said, I do like the feel of the first gen screen better than the new one, not sure if its all in my head or not though.

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

does apple have any documents showing what materials they use and the like?