iPhone 3G - "Searching" issue with 3G on?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jlp09550, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jlp09550 macrumors newbie

jlp09550

Hi,

I've been having this issue since I upgraded from 2.2.1 long ago when I got my iPhone. The problem: when I turn on 3G in an area without 3G coverage, my iPhone will sit on "Searching.." and sometimes go to "No Service." If I turn 3G off, it stays on "No Service" for a while before establishing a connection. Additionally, when I move around a non-3G area and my iPhone loses signal, it will repeat the same long "Searching" thing.

Should this be happening? I'd like 3G to remain on because areas I travel to have 3G service, and I'd like it to switch when I do get to those areas without having to manually turn it off and on.

iPhone 3G info:
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only reason that would happen is if the EDGE signal was bad and only 3G was available and then not. I highly doubt that though.

You might want to restore as new in DFU mode, and see how it does. When you lose 3G, the icon should change to EDGE.

3. jlp09550 thread starter macrumors newbie

jlp09550

There is absolutely no 3G coverage in the area I'm in now. The nearest 3G coverage is quite a distance away, if it even covers that area.

I've tried restoring through the normal iTunes method and through DFU. Nothing seems to fix it. It works fine in a 3G area, but in a normal EDGE area, it has problems.

Like I said, it seems once I upgraded past 2.2.1, this occurs. It didn't happen before. I've been told once that it's possible that the modem firmware is corrupted because of some beta issue before and it's basically unfixable.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You've restored as new?

You could downgrade quite easily to 2.2.1, if you really think that makes a difference, but I've not heard of software problems causing the issue you're having. IMO, it sounds like a hardware issue.

The freezer test has been used to detect hardware issues with wifi. I haven't heard of anyone using the test for 3G/EDGE purposes, but maybe it could be used. It consists of putting the iPhone in ziplock bags (I suggest two to prevent condensation) and putting it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.

5. jlp09550 thread starter macrumors newbie

jlp09550

I'll try the freezer test and see how well that works. If it doesn't fix the problem, I can live with staying on either EDGE or 3G. :) It's not that big of a deal, but it's quite annoying.

Thanks for the help. :)

EDIT: Does the iPhone need to be off to do the freezer test?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The freezer test won't fix the problem, but it will let you know for sure it's hardware related or not (at least for wifi).

Yes, it needs to be off. What you're doing is cooling the chip. There have been issues with it overheating and causing problems (loss of wifi). It happened to me with a refurb.

7. jlp09550 thread starter macrumors newbie

jlp09550

Oh, how exactly? Does it resolve it for a few minutes or something?