iPhone 3g Settings with No Data

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Smalss, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Smalss macrumors member

I got an iPhone 3g from a friend, I jb and unlocked it with 4.0. I don't have a data plan and I don't want one, just going to use the wifi when I can. Can I turn off "enable 3g" and "cellular data" to increase battery without experiencing any problems with calling, texting, and wifi?

2. mreddys10 macrumors regular

You shouldn't have any problems after you do that. If you want to go a step further, download SB Settings from Cydia. This gives you quick access to things like WiFi, Location, etc that you can turn off in order to save battery.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You should be cover for everything but texting, some countries/Carriers tide Texting to the Data plans, some others are totally separated, so depending on what country carrier you are you could have some issues there (some of those issues can be solve changing the APNs settings, based on reports i haven;t tried it myself since I am on AT&T)

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I believe the 3G still requires a mandatory data plan if you're going to use it on AT&T.
    JB or not, they will see it on their network and add the plan.
    You could go the Go Phone SIM route with AT&T... some people have had luck with that.

If it's unlocked and you don't want/need data, take it to T-Mobile.
    Cheaper contract rates and data is not mandatory.

5. Smalss thread starter macrumors member