iPhone 3g shielded speakers??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guitarguy09, Jun 30, 2008.

1. guitarguy09 macrumors member

Hey everyone. I've been looking to pick up some shielded speakers that would fit the iphone 3g. However, because of it's new shape I doubt many/most of the current shielded speakers won't be compatible with the new dimensions. Something like the B&W system is awesome (and I think the iPhone 3g would fit) but it's not shielded as far as I can tell. Has anyone heard of any new QUALITY products that may be up to the task in the near future?

2. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

you wont need them the new iphom isnt GSM its the gsm frequency that interferes with the speakers

3. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

From what I've read, if you're in a 3G covered area you won't hear much of the gsm buzzing noise.

Most of the buzzing comes from the gsm radio accessing the network, so hopefully you wont hear too much of it.

Some ways you can defeat the buzzing: Get a ferrite core and tape it close to your speakers along the wire. Ferrite cores can be found on the end of some usb plugs.

Also if your speaker dock has a removable plate made for different sized iPods, I'm sure one will be made for the iPhone 3G

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Nope, there are still many spots where 3G does not penetrate. iPhone 3G will still use GSM and EDGE when it has to...

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

that is my biggest complaint about a GSM phone. My speakers at work buzz and I have to keep my phone on the other side of my desk in order for it not to make that noise. In some cars I ride in it has the same issue. Fortunately I don't hear it in my car.

6. guitarguy09 thread starter macrumors member

Any new word of some shielded speakers?? The reason I'm still looking is because my place is off and on in regards to 3g penetration of my walls, thus I would prefer shielded speakers. I really like the B&W speakers but they are pricey... and not even shielded... :(

7. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

To the OP: I'm in your exact boat. We have excellent 3G coverage in my town, and I have 3G at work... Our closest tower is even in my parking lot. Unfortunately, because I'm in the tech area, all the signal drops, and I go back and forth between edge and 3G almost constantly, so I get a good bit of the GSM noise.

I'm wanting to know the same thing. Can anyone recommend some speakers that will have good shielding to help prevent the GSM noise? I'm looking for cheap, since this is for a work computer and to plug into my 3G at times, but I'm not saying I won't spend money and will get the absolute cheapest set available. I just don't want to go over the top.

I will try a ferrite core, but I'd still be interested in finding some speakers for this purpose too.