iPhone 3G- Should I wait in line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soreo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

I'm really, really excited for the iPhone 3G's release. Do you think I should be standing in line to get one? I'm in a somewhat busy metropolitan area and I was wondering if they may be so overstocked on having them that there's no point. Or? Does anyone have experience doing this from last year?
    Should I wait 1 day? 2 days?

2. darkshadow1337 macrumors newbie

I would wait about 1 week after the launch date to get one. Its usually really crowded the first few days it comes out. Then you have to wait another few days for them to restock the phone. So that adds up to about a week.

3. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Get in line! It's all part of the experience. Ok so you will be ridiculed by small children and appear in the local press but so what - you will be the one with the iPhone!!!!!

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

This is a question you can only answer. Do you have the patience? If you truly have the time and desire, get in line. See you there! :D

5. Spongey817 macrumors regular

You should go. Right now. You're already three weeks late. I heard people started lining up in June.

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

After waiting in line for the original iPhone and being surprised with the price reduction shortly after it's release, I vowed to never again stand in line for anything :D

7. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

If you have an apple store nearby, just go in on Saturday. That's what I did on the first iPhone launch, and I walked right into the Apple Store in Cincinnati on Saturday around noon, and they had plenty of phones (of course I called first to make sure). I had called a closer AT&T location first, and they were sold out, but the Apple Stores get way more iPhones than the AT&T locations.

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

If you're going to an AT&T store, I would say there won't be too many people there. I think there will be fewer lines now that they are launching at 8 instead of 6. I'm going to just go to my local AT&T store about 30 minutes early and if it looks dead, I'll hit up the BK right in the same parking lot for some breakfast, lol.

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Yeah, line up now...."pitch a tent"

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There will be no shortages. There were none last year, there will be none this year. The big joke last year was all those idiots waiting in line for days thinking they were going to eBay their iPhone. It took most stores an hour to get everyone out the door after opening for sales. After that you could just walk right in and buy an iPhone w/ no wait.

Given the iPhone 3G is less hyped, the economy is weaker, and the 3G is more expensive long term I can't imagine there will be any shortages of iPhones unless you live in a one ATT store town.

11. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

No...

The hype is not as big as it was last year. The iPhone was such an unknown entity back then that everyone just had to get one and see it for themselves. Now that the major hardcore fans have gotten their fix, the majority of those that are getting one are the ones that decided to wait, which im sure is not as big as the first crowd. So to recap, NO, you don't have to wait in line because

1) The mandatory in house activation

2) The iPhone is more known now than it was before

3) The earlier store openings

4) Not much press such as a David Pogue and Mossberg review are not causing adrenaline rushes

12. tritonj macrumors 6502a

there will be plenty of stock so no need to wait, only reason would be if you wanted to be part of the mad rush, which is fun sometimes. but don't do it because you're worried about it being sold out, because it will not be sold out

13. d.mcdgll macrumors newbie

ahh i'm torn!

Does anyone else have to be at work in the morning??

As an intern (who isn't paid and can't really be fired) being a little late seems worth it when my awesome design department superiors get to play with my phone the rest of the day. I'm not concerned about stock, I'm just so excited I can't wait!! Thoughts?

14. madbad01 macrumors member

Here's what I did.

I live in Melbourne, Australia but I was in LA the week of the iPhone release. I went to Westfield Topanga in Woodland Hills at about 10:00am and it was so busy that they had people lined up in the parking lot being led it 10 at a time my security guards.

I went back that same night at 7:45pm, 3 people there, no line. Walked in and bought two iPhones.

I was thinking of doing the same with the iPhone 3G launch but since this is Australia, I'm worried the retailers will run out of stock! Plus I paid a $50 Optus deposit.

15. geeb macrumors regular

There will be no lines in the UK, same as last year.

16. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

i dont think that many people know about it in Australia.
    there hasnt been any media coverage at all about it.... maybe just a fleeting mention, but thats all.

i guess they are saving the coverage for after the release, meaning that there shouldnt be lines/ very small lines.

17. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I'm sure Regent Street will have a few - makes good press headlines.

Everywhere else, not so much. Get there at 7am and you'll be done by 7.30 (ideally).

18. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm excited to get an IPhone on the 11th as well, but I'm not going to spend several hours in line. Yesterday I went to my local AT&T store to get my credit checked so that part will be done with (IReady). If my local AT&T store runs out early that day, I'll take a drive downtown to the Apple store. I'm thinking there will be plenty of stock and we shouldn't see shortages...that's part of the reason for the July 11th release date.

19. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Wait, did they already post their reviews?

20. Soreo thread starter macrumors regular

Soreo

Hahaha, I'm reading this post again, after 1 million iPhones have been sold within the first week...
    So, there's no hype? Lmao

21. Soreo thread starter macrumors regular

Soreo

And, if people would like to know-

I waited in line on launch day at 11 AM at the Apple Store, and waited for 5 hours until I got mine.

Why start waiting so late?
    Because I started waiting in line at at&t first, and I was about 10 people away from getting an iPhone- until they said that they ran out.
    Yay
    What I learned:
    1) If you're going to at&t for the new iPhone (Gen 3, anyone?), either be one of the first
    or
    2) AT&T SUCKS with iPhone stock and never, ever try and waste your time standing out in front of one if you're past #30.

It was worth the five hours at the Apple Store though, because look- there's a bunch of shortages everywhere. I mean, iPhones are probably being spat out of factories in Asia, being shipped over here as we speak- but still.
    And, getting it on launch day gives you the right to say...
    That, well
    You got it on launch day
    :)

22. Soreo thread starter macrumors regular

Soreo

23. suMMx macrumors regular

I have a boring line story. I got to the apple store at 9:30 am today and they handed us vouchers for the set number of phones so we were guaranteed one. I left, came back 4 hours later and picked up my phone and left in less than 20 minutes.

24. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I did! For 4 hours on July 11 and let me tell ya, it is well worth it. I say go for it.