iPhone 3g sim work in iPhone 2g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleali88, Oct 17, 2008.

1. fleali88 macrumors regular

I have a 3g and I just wanted to know if I could use my sim card in an original iphone? like if I were to use an original iphone as a back up just in case something happened to my 3g.

2. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

so it will fit in the tray no probs? oh and do you know if the 3g tray will work in the 2g? the phone should work normally right just no 3g?

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Not sure about the actual SIM card TRAY, but the SIM card will work, and it'll be the same,except no GPS(google Maps) and 3G

4. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, reason i asked is i just purchased a used 8 gb iphone 2g off ebay for 150$ and i wanted a back up basically, or a "rugged" situation iphone lol i keep a case on my 3g just so if i ever have to sell it it will be pristine, so far so good. "knock on wood". but when i get the 2g i prolly wont use a case.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, seeing as how the SIM card tray on the 2G iPhone is Aluminum, and the 3G iPhone is black/white I don't think it would fit. and if you want to sync and stuff, you have to activate first, but if you activate the 2G, then put your SIM card in the 3G, then you will pay the 2G price, but still get 3G speeds on your phone. The 3G is hardware related, not SIM card rel..well it IS SIM card related(you have to have a 3G SIM card, and have Data package on your account) but if you have data, then it doesn't matter what type of phone you have.

6. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

well my i phone 3g is activated, i thought if i just took the sim card out of the iphone 3g and put it into a non activated iphone 2g it would activate the iphone 2g, and the iphone 3g would de-activate until i put the sim back in. is that way off or what?

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

umm, it works the other way, you activate the 2G, then the 3G will be auto-activated sorta. and you don't have to activate, unless you sync it with iTunes, then it'll prompt you to activate it with the 3G plan because you don't have the 3G plan. but if you already have all of your music and stuff on the 3G you can just activate the 2G and stick your SIM in the 3G and it'll work fine.(also you'll be paying the 2G price, 10$ cheaper for the same exact thing, that is..until AT&T finds out.)

8. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

so what would happen if I put my activated 3g sim in a 2g iphone . My monthly bill will change because of that?

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

ok here's the deal with changing out sim cards from 3g iPhone to 2g iPhone. I have an activated 3g and a unactivated 2g and this is what happened when I switched the sim from the 3g to the 2g. It will tell you to connect your iPhone to iTunes and you have to reset your account back to the 2g plan. You can't just switch your sim back and forth between the phones. If you want to switch back to the 2g iPhone you will have to switch your plan. Then when you want to go back to the 3g you would have to switch back to the 3g plan.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I am losing faith in this forum...still the same old questions, and even worse answers.

Yes, the sim card will fit. Why would there be two versions of sim card for the same carrier within 2 years of the first iPhone release?

11. calvy macrumors 65816

Exactly. I just got in on a sweet deal. I picked up a refurb 8GB first gen iPhone for 99 dollars, and plan on using it as my backup phone. However, you can't just pop the SIM card from your 3g into a first gen iPhone. Not because it won't fit (it does, the things are a standard size, all the same, that's the point of a SIM card). I unlocked mine and jailbroke it just so I could use it as I desired.

12. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

I just wanted to make sure, but with my plan changing I shouldn't get any crazy charges from it should I? Just a cheaper plan till I put it back in the 3g?

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

nope, if you switch and activate the 2G it'll be 10$ CHEAPER...you'll have the EDGE plan, not the 3G plan..

14. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, and when I put it back in the 3g it will go back to normal? , oh and is it like an instant change or would I have to wait. I had planned on switching out phones maybe a couple times a month, will that be an issue? I appreciate you guys clearing all this up for me.

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Once you put it in the 3G after you activated the 2G it will work, you won't have to activate again. but if you have to sync it to your computer, it'll prompt you to activate the 3G because your SIM is currently activated with the 2G. I think it takes ~1 day or something like that for the change..not totally sure about that one. but it doesn't matter, you can change as much as you like.

16. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

k that's cool . I just wonder what my bill will look like it I switched back and forth a few times in one month.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I wonder how many threads there will be on this very topic?
    Not to mention the ones that were already answered...

18. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

well I found a simpler solution, I jailbroke and activated the 2g iPhone , loaded bootnueter and flashed the baseband(very easy). Now I can put my iPhone 3g sim in it when ever I want and no changes are made with billing, the2g also accepts tmobile sim cards now too.everything works on both phones when the sim card is in. It's awesome.it's now literally plug and play.

19. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

20. Houls macrumors member

3G and 2G

I also have a 3G and a 2G that I switch the SIM back and forth. Just unlock the 2G and you're in business. If it's not unlocked you'll just get the prompt to activate thru iTunes which you don't want to do if you already have an active account.

21. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

This is absolutely not true-I have both phones and use the 2G whenever I want.

Of course now that I think about it-it may be because I unlocked the 2G-but there is no activation or anything, I just put my 3G sim into 2G and use it just like the 3G (with no GPS of course).

22. kracker macrumors member

Yes this is what I did.. unlocked and it works fine...

23. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

what was happening to me was when i put my sim card in the it would prompt to activate, then ijailbroke and used the baseband hack and at&t showed up, then iunlocked it and boom,

24. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

ok so am i understanding this correclty ?
    If i have the older iphone and want to use it , it has to be unlocked in order to put my 3G sim into it and work with out it updateing my rate plan ?