iPhone 3G -- similar reception problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayducharme, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I said before that my 3G suffered no reception problems when holding it. I was wrong. The drop in the signal just takes time, but it happens consistently. I always blamed AT&T for crappy coverage; it turns out that holding my phone gives me crappy coverage.

I made a video clearly showing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLujjG9i3E

This probably happened with my previous (non-Apple) cell phone, but I didn't realize it. I think Apple's concept with the iPhone 4 -- to place the antenna on the outside of the phone -- is a step in the right direction. Now I know why so many early phones had an extendable antenna, to keep it away from direct skin contact.

EDIT: I should note that this demo was done with iPhone OS 3.1.3

2. xmtgx macrumors regular

ATT is the most overloaded network in the US, shame we cant spread the iphone love around to other ISPs, Though I don't have issues here in Jersey with coverage.

3. shawntkeating macrumors member

4. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

No. I just edited my post to clarify that.

5. puckshaw macrumors newbie

I have the problem with the 4 and tried to duplicate it on my old 3G last night (which is now on my second line). I had my hands completely surrounding it and couldn't even get it to drop 1 bar. The iP4 on the other hand immediately starts losing signal when I hold the lower left corner. Both are running iOS4.

6. shawntkeating macrumors member

Interesting. Is this something you have discovered since the iPhone 4 has been released?

Or

Have you seen this in the past?

7. jayducharme thread starter macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Yes. I watched videos of the iPhone 4 issues, and it suddenly sank into my thick skull that the signal drop took time. So this morning I sat on my porch where I had four bars of EDGE reception. I held the iPhone as I normally would when making calls (as I hold it in the video, with my hand cupping the back). I waited, and then saw the bars begin to drop. I removed my hand and held the phone with two fingers. Slowly, the signal strength went back to what it was before. I repeated this several times. My hand had to cup the phone. It didn't seem to matter whether I tried to stay toward the top or bottom.

In retrospect, I can now see that this has always happened. I just chalked it up to AT&T's bad reputation. I couldn't understand how one day I could have five bars of 3G and the next day have two bars of EDGE in the same location. It's not like I'm in a metropolis with heavy mobile usage. It appears that all along my signal strength issues were due to the phone itself. I never had suspected it before, because I thought very highly of Apple and assumed their product was the best phone money could buy.

I do still love the iPhone, and I'll be getting the 4th generation. But I'm going into it with a more realistic expectation of what Apple can produce.