iPhone 3G Sleep/Home buttons not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by L14M333, Feb 4, 2011.

1. L14M333 macrumors member

Hello... let me fill you in on the situation....

My friend has an iPhone 3G what ive had to replace the digitzer on before but he broke it again so asked me to replace it for him again... i hapily took the offer up but he also asked for me to replace the back case and some buttons he had broke (volume, vibrate and power) what all did work just where missing the silver caseing on them...

So i said i would be happy to do it too (ive done it once before)...

I used this guide to deassemble http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Rear-Panel/1551/

Once i switched the parts i put the phone back together and pressed the power on button.. It didn't work so i just assumed i must have misplaced it when installing it.. so to just test i plugged it into my mac to power it on... It turned on and i unlocked it then loaded an app.. thought it was all good till i went to quit the app, the home button also didn't work!

At first i thought.. oh ive probably just upset the button so i lifted the case off a little and attempted to short the two pins what the button connects to on the dock connector part of the phone simulating a click of the home button but no luck...

Has anyone met this problem before? ive removed the logic board and replaced it to try a fresh reboot but still no luck... the power/sleep button and home button connect to the logic board from different ports so im supprised that both of them do not work, If it was software related i would have thought the volume and vibrate buttons wouldnt work if the sleep didnt :S

If anyone knows of a fix i would be greatful

Thanks

Liam

2. L14M333 thread starter macrumors member

Bump?

Sorry to bump but im in real need of fixing this...

Is there anyone who can save my arse?

Thanks in advanced

Liam

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You might have some luck here, and you can also post questions.
    http://www.ifixit.com/