iPhone 3G slow since 3.0 update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M3G4, Jul 12, 2009.

1. M3G4 macrumors regular

Hello!

Is anyone else experiencing extreme slowdowns on their iPhone 3G since the software update? It seems everything is so slow on my phone - even loading texts takes ages compared to v2. Taking a photo the phone took a good 30 seconds to acknowledge I wanted to send the photo in an MMS. It takes ages to shutdown and startup and sometimes will slow down/freeze for no apparent reason.

It's a complete disaster :(

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Some people had issues after updating, but usually a restore fixes things. Try that and then update to 3.0.

3. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I know!
    I have a 3GS which is bullet quick, but I had to use my friends 3G today, it was just too slow to even comprehend!
    It took an age to load a web page on 3G and Panning and zoom was laggy etc
    It made me want to throw it in the bin it was that slow!

4. M3G4 thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest since having the 3.0 update, the quality of the phone is way below par. It's made me rethink wether my upgrade is going to be an iPhone - it's that bad.

Does restoring lose my texts, settings etc?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Backups contain the following:
    call logs, recent call list, call timers, voicemails
    settings
    saved app data (like saved games and app settings - however, this is partially up to the developer to implement)
    text message history
    notes (if not being synced with notes on your computer)
    stocks
    weather cities
    camera roll photos (no other photos)
    app locations/placement (on 3.0 ONLY, saves what pages and locations you kept your apps)

It does NOT backup:
    Contacts
    Calendars
    Emails
    Apps
    Music
    Videos
    Photos
    Ringtones
    (Basically everything that you should have saved on your computer or mail service)

6. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

No, make sure you allow your phone to completely back up through before restoring, so it can reapply all your data

If you are considering getting an upgrade, go for the 3GS, its same differences, it is a refined version of the 3G and it just runs like a bullet.

Hey, apple are giving the current 3G users a reason to upgrade, smart move on their behalf I think

7. M3G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really, considering I pay £50 a month for my contract (minus iPhone it would be £35), and paid £150 for the "privilage" of owning the iPhone in the first place.

Incredibly bad move to cripple the current model to boost sales of the new one. The only way I'll be getting a 3GS is if I get one for free!

8. M3G4 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds too much like hard work though :(

9. nerdish macrumors regular

Mine has become slower since the 3.0 software also, but in no way, shape or form am i forking out to get the 3GS, looks like im going to either sell it on ebay and get something to run my contract down, or put up with it until the 2010 iPhone comes out.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought you wanted it to run like normal? Hopefully it will after you do a restore. If not, take it back.

11. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

You are not alone. My phone is really really slow now. I would try the restore but my address book has never worked from a backup. So until I decide to write down all my contacts and re enter them in, I guess I am stuck with slowphone.

12. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

Same here. I did a fresh install and it's still super slow. I even cut half of my media on the phone because I thought that was the problem, and still no luck. Hopefully the update will speed things up on the phone slightly, as it's borderline annoying!

I always wanna throw it at a wall when it starts messing up!

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Mines been kind of slow to, I think I'm going to try a restore.

14. salesguy macrumors regular

I have also felt that my 3G has not been up to par in terms of speed since the update. I didn't notice at first because I was distracted by all the cool new features in the 3.0 update.

Apps seems to open slower and even unlocking the phone takes a little longer than I remember.

Can't consider the 3GS until the end of the year so I will just have to deal with it for now.

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

My 3g was slightly slower with 3.0, but I couldn't call it slow.

16. Pixellated macrumors 65816

My 3G was being a bit slow too. A restore fixed it.

17. spookme macrumors member

I too have tried the restore trick to speed my slowing 3G up. I have to say aswell though I have noticed a slight problem since 3.0: When in call if I hit the home button and then load a contact up or read a text message, you will note at the top of the screen it says touch here (or something like that) to return to call........... mine wont do it. My phone just hangs, the call continues of course, but I'm stuck the screen wont budge at all. I end up having to reboot the phone and start again.

I can say that out of 5 times that this has happened 4 times its got stuck like this. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem.

Coming back to the speed issue, agreed, something isn't right somewhere I whilst I hope that an update will solve this issue it is very annoying to know that the 3GS is "bullet" fast and the 3G just got a ton slower.

18. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

My 3G is no slower after 3.0. Granted, I did a restore as a new phone, but still. All of my contacts & calendars are synced via MobileMe and I couldn't care less about losing old text messages, so restoring as a new phone is pretty painless for me. The only time consuming part is rearranging the apps on the screens and resyncing my music which takes awhile.

To the person who said they didn't want to restore as a new phone because they didn't want to write down/lose their contacts - what is this 1990? Sync your contacts to your computer (Outlook, Windows Mail, Mac Address book) or even better an email account online such as Gmail or MobileMe. For the life of me, I cannot understand how there are still people out there who have no backups of their contacts. What happens if your phone is lost or dies completely?

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've reverted back to 2.2.1 and lemme tell you what... I'm so glad I did.

3.0 is sluggish and overall sloppy (I noticed during the 3.0 betas but everyone assured me that it was just a beta and that the final version would be polished... hah, glad that worked out)

Ever since I downgraded back to 2.2.1, my iPhone is almost as fast as the iPhone 3GS. It's just smoother and more responsive to me. It works really well and it's stable and smooth.

I miss copy and paste every once in a while and push notifications but that's about it. I'm loving the cleaner UI, faster launch times and smoother graphics.

20. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

My phone has never been slower than it is now. It's ridiculous. I'm not happy about it, considered I'm not eligible for an upgrade till December.

21. RumorHasIt.... macrumors member

3.0 sucks!

I have the 2g iPhone. Ever since the software upgrade to 3.0, my iphone has been very slow, especially when opening either an app or a website. If Apple did this so that more upgrade to 3GS, then they are worse than I thought; Apple makes so much revenue from the iPhone than just the purchase of it.

Since I get three checks in July, on Aug 1st, I will upgrade to the 3GS. However, I'm not recommending the iPhone to friends, anymore.

22. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Same here. At its worst, my iPhone 3G w/ OS 3.0 is no slower than with OS 2.2. (I didn't even restore it.) Better yet, 3.0 is far more stable than 2.2. I do feel sorry for those who have had negative experience with OS 3.0, but I am a very happy camper myself. In fact, I am holding off upgrading to 3G S because of the improvement I've found in 3.0.

23. Hakkera macrumors member

Yep. Same boat, my 3G runs like a tank.

No way in hell am I going to fork out for a 3GS. Even on upgrade.

24. atompunk macrumors newbie

Found a fix

I found a fix online to get the iphone back up to speed.

check it out!:apple:

http://keyboarderworld.com/kbl/?p=153

:)

I was scared to try. But then realized that my itune have a restore and backup so I dint mind risking it. If anyone have question feel free to ask.

Let me know if this work for you guys.