iPhone 3G slowness fixed with OS 4.0.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheManOfSilver, Aug 14, 2010.

?

Have you experienced a performance boost on your 3G after updating to OS 4.0.2?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2010.
  1. Hell yes, it's just like the old days!

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Um ... no. It's still slow as hell.

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. I don't know/I downgraded to OS 3.x/etc.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

OK, it's been a couple of days since I upgraded to 4.0.2 on my iPhone 3G. I had been experiencing the same frustrating slowness that has prompted many to downgrade their firmware or want to throw their phone off the nearest, highest rooftop.

But since the upgrade, my phone has returned to normal. Sure it's not as "zippy" as a 3GS or the iP4, but it never was before. It is acting more like it did with OS 3.x though.

I iniitially thought it was just because of the fresh install, the forced restart, etc. But I didn't get this kind of performance boost moving from 4.0 to 4.0.1 so I'm not sure what the difference was this time around (the update was supposed to only address the PDF exploit).

Anyone else experience this?

2. chrisk1250 macrumors member

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

The people who I know that still use their 3G and upgraded the OS said they did not notice a difference from the previous version. I don't see how it would change anyway, as the only thing that OS 4.0.2 did was fix a potential security problem.

4. Nightex macrumors member

Whilst preparing the iphone for the update an unknown error occurred and crashed the update process. It then took ages to restore the iPhone. And what did I get from spending all this time with my phone offline updating to the new 4.02 iOS? Far as I can tell nothing. Nothing at all except some security fix for PDF's.

I've had nothing but headaches, slow and laggy response and missed calls due to unlock/answer bar freezes since I updated to iOS 4.

Its utterly ridiculous now! TWO updates released and no fix!

APPLE NEED TO SUPPORT A DOWNGRADE OR RELEASE A FIX FOR 3G USERS!

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not like its a forgotten and ancient piece of technology. It was being sold AS A NEW PHONE up until June 2010.

5. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

I totally agree. iPhone 3G with iOS 4 is utterly terrible, almost criminal. I have never been so angry with a piece of technology. There have been numerous occasions when I seriously considered snapping the phone in half or throwing it against a wall. And I’m not even a violent person, plus I’ve used plenty of dumb phones back in the day. Running like molasses is bad enough, but I also experience app crashes upon launching. I cannot open a single game or 3rd party app, not one, I’m serious. Maps crashes majority of time. iPod and Safari also crash way too often. Apple has made my iPhone nearly unusable. Why Apple, why?

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I'm guessing you never saw "Disaster Movie" - those cameras should of burst into flames, and exploded; instead they allowed themselves to be used to film that travesty...

7. glenarborguy macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G with OS 4.02

I've just upgraded to 4.02 after experiencing a huge slowdown with 4.0 and 4.01 plus apps and phone calls that quit on me. Totally disgusting and unworthy of Apple's reputation. But with 4.02 so far, speed seems to be close to what it was with OS 3 and I've not had any apps or phone calls quit on me. Maybe this was an unannounced upgrade?

8. celticpride678

I'm running on a 2nd generation iPod touch (which also has had its fair amount of complaints with iOS 4) and the only issue I'm having is battery life. Battery Life is absolutely horrible.

Apple needs to fix this quickly, but it's probably not going to happen until iOS 4.1

9. bgarfield macrumors newbie

Sorry naysayers, 100% definitely sure mine sped up. No placebo. My phone was so slow before, I actually timed it the best way I knew how, using the still camera. I did this because I could actually get a laugh from GS or 4 user friends.

Before, when I opened the camera application, it took 8-12 seconds just to open up the lens. It took an additional 5-8 seconds just to take a picture.
    It's VERY clear that it now is back to the normal 1-3 seconds to open the lens and the picture is taken within a second or less.

I knew that it was only supposed to be security, and wasn't expecting anything, but I immediately noticed a difference, which is exactly why I searched to see if anyone else did and found this thread.

I'm not sure if it's completely back to normal as it's been at the brutally slow speed for so long, I don't remember. It's clearly faster now.