iPhone 3G SMS not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jameskohn, Jul 12, 2008.

1. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I realized that I wasn't receiving any new text messages or replies. Turns out SMS is not working on new iPhone 3G. They appear to send, but nobody receives them, and I don't receive any that anybody sends to me. Did a full restore via iTunes, no joy. Thoughts??

2. jjsun macrumors member

I would call AT&T, when SMS doesn't work it's usually a network issue.

3. jameskohn thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think it's the network: all the rest of my family's phones are texting without problems. Thanks though!

4. coachpeter macrumors newbie

coachpeter

SMS Half Working

For me, it seems that I am able to send text messages to anyone, but only receive them from other att network friends. My roomie uses someone else and can't text me but receives mine. My friend with an original iPhone sent me one while we were talking, he's in Atlanta, I'm in Seattle and as soon as he hit send he heard my text message received alert go off...

I'm guessing that I will get a bunch of texts at some point....

5. heyp macrumors 6502

i think its a problem with at&t in general... i don't have the iphone yet but i switched a few months ago to get it and ive seen problems receiving texts from other carriers... it's really frustrating... i've called them and they say well it looks like everything is working fine, so who knows

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you ported your number in from another network, it generally will take a day or two before SMS from outside AT&T will work. The intercarrier SMS gateways take longer to recognize a port has taken place for some reason.

7. coachpeter macrumors newbie

coachpeter

Unfortunately, this is a new account. My old number is att anyways....so no porting lag or issues...

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then give AT&T a call tomorrow, and complain like hell.

9. coachpeter macrumors newbie

coachpeter

This is the plan.... UGH!!:mad:

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Before you do though, just give it a try again tomorrow morning. You never know, this might sort itself out overnight.

11. jameskohn thread starter macrumors 6502

problem solved

Called AT&T, who switched me over to Apple support, who switched me back to AT&T. Lot's of hold time and elevator music, but finally determined that activation was incomplete. They fixed it, and now all is well. Thanks all.

12. ludachump macrumors newbie

apples vs. At&t's

so was it apple or AT&T that completed your activation?

13. e.m. macrumors 6502

some sms I sent today never made it to the recipient.

14. mwchris macrumors regular

Mine are not working either

My sms was not working either, unknown to me for well over a week. (I am not a heavy user, I use them in spurts.)

So, I call AT&T, they informed me that I do not have a messaging plan. I say BS, cause I have had one since I created the account almost 2 years ago. Come to find out when I called in to get my voicemail fixed because it was not working the lady turned off my messaging plan because it was on an OLD plan that they no longer had. I knew I was on an old plan, but was told it would work until I canceled it. Well, I DID NOT ask for it to be turned off AT&T did it without asking so they would not lose money, so the guy gave me another plan at a discounted rate while they research how to get the old one reactivated. Said he filed a claim, but we will see what happens. I am not holding my breath. I am VERY pissed about this! The only good thing is this is from the business team, so maybe they are better than the general consumer team. I sure hope so. I will not pay more for the same service I HAD, otherwise that is a breech of the contract I signed and I am out!

I have usually had good luck with AT&T, but this is very annoying.

I am sure they have done this to others.

15. deconstruction macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G SMS not working

when i changed my unlimited $30/month data plan last month to the $45/month plan with tethering AT&T failed to enable SMS.

i called AT&T and told them to add SMS like it was with the old plan.