Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeshu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Hi Guys,

This may be a totally dumb question since it applies to all 3G phones, but when voice calls and data on the iPhone 3G are using the 3G network, does it still cause noise on speakers?

I ask because I'm a videographer and I've had instances where the GSM interference would be picked up by the camera's mic. Not something easily fixed in post.

Thanks a bunch!

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Now that you mention it....

I haven't been paying attention, but the interference is either a lot less, or gone completely as compared to my original iPhone. Both my original iPhone and my company supplied blackberry used to drive my HP printer bananas with interference, but I called my new 3G phone just now from my home phone and I didn't hear any interference. Certainly not an "official" test, but my experience thus far.....

mikeshu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Oooh, sounding good so far.

I want to keep my phone on when videotaping so people at events can contact me. So this can be a deal breaker.

I've been having to swap sim cards into an unlocked T-Mobil PebL. Don't ask me how that works, but I guess the frequency on that thing doesn't kill speakers.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
YES! NO MORE NOISE!!! Got my 3G iphone on Friday! If you get a new 3G phone, and turn off the 3G, you can hear the noise again, so it's definately the old EDGE network that was causing the noise!!! YAY!!!!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
YES! NO MORE NOISE!!! Got my 3G iphone on Friday! If you get a new 3G phone, and turn off the 3G, you can hear the noise again, so it's definately the old EDGE network that was causing the noise!!! YAY!!!!

Yeah it looks like the since 3g is a completely different network than GSM, we don't have that "GSM Buzz"

for people who want to know what that GSM Buzz is. For GSM phone, one way it saves power over CDMA phones is that it doesn't have to stay connected at all times.

So if 2 parties are not talking, the network will cut the line (temporarily) and when one side starts talking, it opens the signal back up.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I'm reviving this thread. Since most people have reverted to EDGE to avoid problems with the 3G network, I'm wondering.

Is there any way to shield my speakers so they don't pick up the interferance from my phone? Or, are there some computer speaker companies that make shielded speakers that won't pick up this interferance?

Thanks!

bclanton

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Try this for when on EDGE

I'm reviving this thread. Since most people have reverted to EDGE to avoid problems with the 3G network, I'm wondering.

Is there any way to shield my speakers so they don't pick up the interferance from my phone? Or, are there some computer speaker companies that make shielded speakers that won't pick up this interferance?

Thanks!

Try visiting www.quickbridgesolutions.com They may have what you need. The shield is made for the earlier iPhones, but should shield the new phones while on the EDGE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.