iphone 3g speaker phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

How good is the speaker phone on iphone 3g? Is the audio loud and clear? Does it drain the battery pretty fast?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Speaker phone during a call - relatively low IMHO, barely hear them when I'm driving with the volume set to the max

Speaker during listening to iPod - it's OK IMHO

On both cases, it will drain your battery faster than normal usage.

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yeah the speaker phone is very poor IMO.

I know the iphone is capable of being louder because some ringtones and game music and things like that produce very loud sound. I don't know why it is so soft. disappointing. if you are in a silent room it is ok, but if there is any background noise at all it makes things challenging

4. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK thanx. Thats too bad. I currently use the moto Q. It has an excellent speaker; better than many home phones. Hopefully the next iphone has a better speaker phone.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Well ... I don't know if I'd say it's very poor (especially compared to a Motorola Q).

It depends on a lot of things. How you lay/hold the phone during the call. If you lay down on a flat hard surface (like on a glass table, or cup it the right way with your hand), it'll be pretty loud. If you just hold it up 'open air', it'll be more quiet.

The other caller - some people have bad mics on their phones. Some people I have to turn my volume down with, and other people I have to turn it up. So it all depends.

Using it in a car is gonna be tough - not many things sound loud in a car/train/subway. In fact, I often have to turn my headphones up higher than I think is "good" for my ears on the subway, cause I can barely hear it otherwise! Let alone use a speakerphone.

It's not ear shatteringly loud - but I don't feel it's a piece of junk either. It's certainly louder than the first gen, at least.

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The speaker phone in the iPhone 3G, while much better than the 1st gen speaker phone, is one of the biggest gripes. I really hope that the next hardware revision has a super loud speaker phone...

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unless you do the needle method. Then it's just as loud. Seriously.

I agree with the rest of what you said though. It's not as loud as some of the clamshell phones I've heard but it definitely isn't quiet. It's loud enough that I can hear a podcast (Leo Laporte's) in my wife's Jeep Liberty (no iPod connector to head unit) and understand what is being said clearly.

8. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

the speaker phone mode on iphone is worthless to me. I have the speaker phone as close to my ear as I would without speaker phone mode on. :(

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That sounds like a broken speaker to me.

Unless, of course, you guys are using your speaker phones in a car/train/bar/party/etc.