Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cave12man

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
avalon, nj
My uncle recently won an iphone 3g from a raffle at a golf event and has offered to give it to me since he hasnt a use for it. Through work i get discounts on cell plans including AT&T. Ive been hesitant on purchasing the new phone for myself based on the problems and reviews ive heard, especially with the price comparison on the older model. Ok so my question is: After taking off the price of the phone (since its free), taking a 20% cut on the plan price through work, is the iphone still a good choice? Anyone have any suggestions?

I have T-Mobile now and have been waiting for a possible unlock like with the previous iphone for carriers but am starting to think its never going to happen and am pleased with tmobile but have really wanted the iphone. Any help would be great.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The iPhone is the most frustrating piece of Apple technology I have ever owned. I have a list of complaints a mile long.

It is also the best cell phone I have ever owned, no question. I have not regretted it one bit. There is no other phone I would consider, even now.

So that's my opinion. Good luck figuring it out. I'm not sure I can, but there it is.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you got it free I'd do it. Just understand you *may* not experience the 3G speeds that have been advertised. Then again, depending on where you live and work you may experience fantastic service.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I say go ahead and buy one. You have 14 days to return it to Apple if you don't like it.

I have two of them and have no problems with 3G service, no defects with the phone itself and no dropped calls. I bought my first white phone on launch day and a second white phone 30 days later. Both are perfect.

I go all over town on my job with 3G activated listening to Last.FM.

cave12man

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
avalon, nj
great thanks for the replies...you guys pretty much made the decision for me.

@small white car: i feel ya.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Go ahead and do it. It may not be this week or even this month but eventually apple and att will work these bugs out.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
If you're familiar with macs already, I would do it.
There are some things that seem easier because I've worked on macs for so long.

If you aren't familiar with them, then think a little more about it.
Otherwise, I love mine. :D

cave12man

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
avalon, nj
definitely mac savy, been using them for years. my real concern was if the extra money a month (paying 45 now versus 70 for iphone) would be worth it.

thanks for all the replies this really helped my decision.

Warpdrv

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I had been waiting for a long time for a product that had the type of ability and seamless integration that it does for me and what I need from it. Instant access to Email, un-restricted Internet, GPS, Ipod, camera, Calendar/scheduler, extensive contact list, bluetooth.... it is really an all in 1 tool for me that has become a priceless tool in my day to day tasks.

Does it have limitations... sure, but nothing I can't live without....
Battery for me will last 2 days, but I keep my display turned down and I turn off "location services" unless I'm using it... I am rarely if ever away from a power source to charge my phone...

Want to talk about control.... my last phone had internet access, but it was their browser, and you could only access info the way the carrier laid it out for you... I couldn't handle that anymore, and it got to a point that I hardly ever used it... I wouldn't give this thing up for anything else out there, and I don't think anything comes close right now... will that change in the future, sure but for now the Iphone got it right and it will only drive other products to step up to the plate to achieve something better...

If you get it for free... thats nice... but the extra money a month for unlimited access to the net and all the services that it provides.... tons of very useful free apps, and others you can buy... plus now people are really getting more out of the phone with hacking it...

If you already have AT&T, just fire it up and activate it with your sim in there and play with it for a while, see how you like it...
You could also sell the thing if you don't want it, that way your not signing up a new contract......
Now I'm guessing this can be done, but I can't promise you it will, but its worth a try...

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
The iPhone is the most frustrating piece of Apple technology I have ever owned. I have a list of complaints a mile long.

It is also the best cell phone I have ever owned, no question. I have not regretted it one bit. There is no other phone I would consider, even now.

So that's my opinion. Good luck figuring it out. I'm not sure I can, but there it is.

I really couldn't have said it better myself. Even with all the problems it has, no phone comes close to rivaling it. Not by a long shot.

cave12man

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
avalon, nj
@ warpdrv: now thats what im talkin about. you def just gave me the final push and shove.

goin to get it tonight, ill let you guys know how it works out. just hope it can still use t-moible's txt message price increase to get out of any ETFs!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It is not worth the extra $10 per month no matter how you look at it. If I could I'd keep the phone turn off 3G and save the $10. It doesn't work half the time anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.