iPhone 3G stuck in recovery/no restore?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by timbo400, Mar 29, 2011.

1. timbo400 macrumors newbie

Ok so I received an iPhone from a family member today and it was all good, it was Jailbroken and what not. All I know was that it had Cydia and it was on iOS 4.1 custom firmware? (I'm not too sure about JB)

So I attempted to restore it to original settings so I could start fresh with this iPhone (I have an iPad but it's not Jailbroken cause I'm not in to that, just want it to work)

I guess this was the wrong thing, after spending the day adding my contacts then syncing/transferring purchases I hit restore and iTunes downloads the new update and attempts to update the iPhone 3G but fails after I wait all that time.

Now this is when the pain starts, I found myself reaching the 1015 error, assuming this was some problem from JB I investigated until I did some more work arounds and eventually hit a 1060 error.

Now my iPhone is stuck in Recovery mode, I've downloaded fresh original updates/firmware (4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1 restores) and attempted to restore via the Alt+iTunes (Using Mac OSX 10.6.7) only to find out the "firmware file is not compatible". I cannot exit recovery mode even using RecBoot and I've spent the last 2-3 hours trying to find a fix. (I hate joining a forum just to ask one question and leave, I am MR reader but not a poster)

TL: DR
    I have been using TinyUmbrella, RecBoot, Redsn0w etc etc
    On Mac OSx, iPhone 3G is stuck in recovery mode (Plug into iTunes screen) and when I select one of the updates from Apple themselves (4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1) it tells me my firmware file is not compatible and does not leave an error code.

I'm hoping to find a guide or appropriate steps to fix this error or just know if the phone is screwed up or not :(

Thanks for reading my essay, I hope I can get to use this iPhone...

2. timbo400, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

timbo400 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've Pwned the iPhone via Redsn0w then updated to a CFW via iTunes and TSS server online and now I receive a 1600 error.

#confused.

edit: I've come to conclusion that the iPhone is locked since it has ipad baseband (Assumption) now it's just CFW

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Do you need the phone to be jb and unlocked or just jb? You need to specify.
    If it has cydia, it is jb. Explain to the family member that you were an idiot and ask what they did to the phone. Write it down and get bb, etc.

Unless you have the blobs, you can't install anything other than 4.3. D/l tiny umbrella onto your computer, connect your phone and save the blobs (if there are any).
    You can also edit your host file, but you'll have to search MR for how to do that.

FYI: you never restore unless you want to kill the jb/unlock or know what you're doing. At least you weren't stupid enough to hit erase all content in your phone.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP has the 3G phone. He can go down to 3.1.3 without having a SHSH blob save. Also, latest IOS for 3G is 4.2.1 and not 4.3.

5. timbo400, Mar 29, 2011

Yeah, I probably sound like a fool.

I've worked out that the phone was updated via Greenpois0n, all attempts in custom firmware iOS 4+ have failed. I used Greenpois0n's updater but that gets me to the text boot screen (it looks like windows old school booting screen) to say all these files have failed/missing ie. it didn't work.

The phone was already JB and I wanted to get it to play normally. The phone was received under weird circumstances, ie. My uncle got it for free cause someone couldn't pay their charge and they gave him their IP3G instead so he gave it to me. I cannot get any info from them.

Eastercat: I wished I had known :(

I'm attempting 3.1.3 now :)

Edit: I'm such a retard, after 5 hours of stressing it's because my iphone is 3GS. wow. Fail.

Sorry i'll report my new findings now. Thanks for putting up with this noob. :(

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you get to that screen. I don't think you have 3G but rather 3GS. Since you can't tell us whether it is 3G or 3GS, can you look in the back of the phone, at the lower section and tell me what you see;

1. What the color of the "Iphone" word? is is the in chrome or just regular paint?
    2. Under the word Iphone, there is a model #. What is it? is it A1241 or A1303?

7. timbo400 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's Chrome and A1303

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have a 3GS and that the reason you keep getting message that the firmware is not compatible.

9. timbo400 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've retried the processes said above but with 3GS firmware :(

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Look at the bright side. You realize you have a better phone and it is much, much faster than 3G :D

11. timbo400, Mar 29, 2011

Haha thanks for the positive :p

I'm pulling my hair out at the moment.

Ok, fresh slate.

My phone is stuck in recovery mode. I put it into DFU mode.

Got my custom and official fw for OS4.2.1, I'm using TinyUmbrella to TSS while I restore the iPhone 3GS in iTunes to the original FW. (If I don't use TinyUmbrella then it doesn't work)

At the moment it goes from 'Verifying iPhone Software' to 'Restoring Firmware' and my iPhone has Apple logo and the progress bar.

I now get the original 1015 error. Apparently this step is normal?

edit:
    I exit itunes and run red-sn0w, place the phone into DFU mode and use the limera1n exploit, back into itunes again and still running TSS,

I'm restoring to a custom firmware atm. will report back asap

ok success it says I've restored to factory settings but now I'm unsure what to do.

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Once you get 1015 error. You need to hit "exit recovery" from tiny umbrella first. Once that's done, your phone should boot up and back to the emergency screen.

From that point, you can now jailbreak it.

13. timbo400, Mar 29, 2011

Hmm having trouble finding this emergency screen, my iphone keeps loading this greenpois0n boot screen even though i dont want it? how is it in there?!

as soon as i hit fix recovery, it goes to the greenpois0n loading screen :/

but it's stuck at GP initialized with like 4 lines of 'unable to find ______'

edit:

Doing the exact same steps but in Windows Emulated via Parallels.

Using iReb and standard iTunes. No errors so far, trying to load custom firmware

ok got phone back up and running but doesn't recognise sim nor does it last very long. once i lock the phone it's in recovery boot. hmmm ill keep testingf

14. timbo400 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump.

Update: iPhone did reach normal function but quickly restarted into DFU Mode.

iPhone cannot be rolled back to anything via iTunes due to Error #28.

White screen is only thing display-able. DFU-mode is constant.

:boggled:

Edit: Testing with Sn0wbreeze

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. webessay macrumors newbie

i Phone cannot be rolled back to anything via i Tunes due to Error #28!!!

essay papers