Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarkidv1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Problem 1:

My mum gave me her iPhone 3G and I have a few problems with it.

I restored it to factory settings and wiped everything off of it. It took 2 hours like it said it would and then it went to the apple logo screen and its been stuck on that for a day now. It flashes white every now and then, like it is about to start and then goes straight back to the logo. I have hard reset it a few times and it just does the same thing when you turn it on. Now I can't even hard reset it. It's just stuck on the apple logo. Also when I plug it into any computer (windows and mac) it does not recognize it.

Problem 2:

I plugged it into my Mac Mini computer and itunes comes up with the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone because an invalid response was received from the device'. It used to be synced to a windows computer and iTunes recognizes it in windows computers. This shouldn't be a problem though. It should recognize it and make you format it to Mac. THIS WAS BEFORE I HAD RESET IT

Thanks in advance

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Problem 1:

My mum gave me her iPhone 3G and I have a few problems with it.

I restored it to factory settings and wiped everything off of it. It took 2 hours like it said it would and then it went to the apple logo screen and its been stuck on that for a day now. It flashes white every now and then, like it is about to start and then goes straight back to the logo. I have hard reset it a few times and it just does the same thing when you turn it on. Now I can't even hard reset it. It's just stuck on the apple logo. Also when I plug it into any computer (windows and mac) it does not recognize it.

Problem 2:

I plugged it into my Mac Mini computer and itunes comes up with the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone because an invalid response was received from the device'. It used to be synced to a windows computer and iTunes recognizes it in windows computers. This shouldn't be a problem though. It should recognize it and make you format it to Mac. THIS WAS BEFORE I HAD RESET IT

Thanks in advance

Was the phone previously unlock?

Put it into DFU mode, Itunes will allow you to restore. However, if the phone has Ipad baseband on it, you will receive an error message from Itunes.

guitarkidv1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Was the phone previously unlock?

Put it into DFU mode, Itunes will allow you to restore. However, if the phone has Ipad baseband on it, you will receive an error message from Itunes.

The iPhone was jail-broken, but I do not need it jail-broken as I am on a contract with the original provider.

How can I put it into DFU mode if I cannot hard reset it?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
The iPhone was jail-broken, but I do not need it jail-broken as I am on a contract with the original provider.

How can I put it into DFU mode if I cannot hard reset it?

While hooking up to your computer. Press and hold power button & home button until black screen appear. Release power button and continue holding home button until you see your computer detect your phone. That is when it is in DFU mode.

guitarkidv1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
While hooking up to your computer. Press and hold power button & home button until black screen appear. Release power button and continue holding home button until you see your computer detect your phone. That is when it is in DFU mode.

Just did it now and it is restoring it as we speak! Thank you. If I have any further problems I will just say :)

Usual

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
I had my phone jail braked and could not restore, I think there had been some problems.

Than, as I have special agreement with my cell operator, a person came and did something with a program. Sorry, I could not remember the name of the program, but it reset my iPhone successfully, then he re installed everything and then it started to work without any problem.

The symptoms was like yours, so I would like to inform...

guitarkidv1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Sods law. Left it there to do it's thing and when i went back to it, the restore screen had gone, the iphone was blank and it had not been recognized. Turned it on and the same problem. It also does not hard reset

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.