Iphone 3g submerged in water, Help retrieving contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Biddy1, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Biddy1 macrumors newbie

Funny story I guess...my son who is 3 months shy of 3 years of age threw my Iphone 3g in the toilet. Yes..there was piss in it too :(

My problem is that the phone is fried, and has been in a bag of rice for a day (lol) but let's face it...I'm screwed for the most part.

I never synched my phone with outlook/gmail or anything else and always just did the synch/backup with itunes.

Today I threw my sim card in an old palm treo 650 I had at my office and obviously have no contacts.

I am eligible for an upgrade to an IPHONE 4 for 199 but to be honest I am thinking about switching to verizon anyways for my area I have a ton of trouble with AT&T service.

Is there a way to retrieve these contacts to do with what I wish?

possible options:

my wife has an iphone 3g as well..but I always synched hers with her laptop...could i sync hers with my pc and would it add my contacts to her so I could at least manually add the ones i need for now?

I have an ipad, I guess I could sync my contacts to that?

Thanks for any help in advance...I am severely frustrated at the moment :apple:

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

Don't lose faith in the rice. My wife jumped into a pool to help a drowning kid and her phone was in her pocket. It took almost 3 days in a bag of rice, but the phone finally booted up.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Using your wife's 3G:

1. Backup
    2. Reset
    3. Restore in iTunes using your backup
    4. Sync to mobileme/google/outlook/etc
    5. Reset
    6. Restore in iTunes using your wife's backup

4. Biddy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting...thanks for the post. I would **** my pants literally if it booted up.

I am using brown rice...is that acceptable? :eek:

5. diabolic macrumors 68000

6. Biddy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

right?

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You can reset from the settings app on the iPhone. And yes, you should back up to her laptop.

8. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

There are bags you can order online that work like rice. You throw your phone in it and it takes all the water out. Maybe try ordering one if you can wait the time out:cool::cool::D

9. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Did you give it a rubbing alcohol bath too? Very important. Saved my phone after I peed on it.

I had my phone in 72% for a day, then I was able to get 90+% from a friend (live in new york, 72 is the limit), gave it a quick rinse with the stronger alcohol and left it in white rice for 3 days. Phone booted up after that.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

11. Biddy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

small update

plugged phone in last night and the screen showed the charging picture...flipped out and unplugged it and it died right away.

gonna wait another 24 hours I guess...there is hope though

12. Biddy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

subtle alcoholic post

13. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

My wife's 3GS went into the toilet and died. A couple of days in the rice under a lamp didn't help. I took it apart (just to separate the front from the back) and it was still wet inside. Put both pieces in the rice for another couple of days. All better, except the camera never recovered. She's still using it.

14. MasterWu macrumors newbie

The way to save older phones that had been submerged in water was to spray the whole thing in WD40 (spray can oil), blast all the water out, and let it dry.... but i can imagine with an iphone this would fill the phone (and behind the screen) with oil.... :rolleyes:

15. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Haha nope. Thought I felt my phone vibrate (after not getting a single text message from my girlfriend for hours, I was worried) and didn't feel like waiting until I was finished to check. It slipped right out of my hand and it turns out I didn't have any phone call, email, or text message.