iPhone 3G submerged in water - Is there hope?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xbabiiecakkes, Jan 22, 2009.

1. xbabiiecakkes macrumors newbie

Okay so here's the scoop, as you guys have already heard familiar stories.

My iPhone 3G had fell out of my BACK POCKET of the jeans into the toilet (clean), and I had taken it out within seconds taking it to dry with a towel. Here's I think what is my mistake, I shook it. I realized that everytime I shook the phone, water would come out so I assumed that I could get the water out fast this way. Stupid, yes I know now. I actually had tried to power off right when I took it out, but when it got to the screen where you slide the red bar to shut off the phone, the screen just wouldn't let me touch it and it basically froze on me. ): Continuing - I just kept on wiping it, and the the phone eventually turned off itself. For the next 30 minutes or so, I kept on pressing the Home button, switching the silent / ringer button, and the top lock button, hoping something will happen. Something DID happen! I saw the apple from the start up screen TWICE, but only for 4 seconds each time, then the screed died on me again. . . Since I had school, it was left in my bag for the day, and I tried to turn it on every now and then. After about 9 hours, I was home and my friend had suggested blowdrying it, so I did. I faced the end of the drier at my lock button, because I found that my LENS were foggy, and everytime I dried it, the fog would go away. When it went away however, after about 4 minutes fog started to appear again. So after two attempts at the drier, I stopped and put the iPhone in a bowl of rice.

With what I had done so far, do you guys still think it'll turn on? I remember seeing a red light flash, and I'm not quite sure where this water sensor paper is, because all I see in the headphone hole is black -_-... any help please?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It's pretty much anyones guess. I've heard of phones drying out and working just fine, but I've also heard of phones never turning back on. This seems to happen to a lot of girls. But yah, just give it a couple of days, keep it in a warm, dry place and hopefully it works out. If you're wondering whether or not your LDS (Liquid Damage Sensor) got activated... Yes. I've heard of it activating due to humidity... So I'm pretty sure it changed colors on you. Good luck.

3. davyreins macrumors 6502

Throw it in some rice. It will soak up the moisture

4. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

5. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

6. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

By changing colors...what exactly do you mean? ):

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the water indicator from white to pink

NEVER turn on electronics if they arent completely dry. will cause a short

you should have not tried and turn it on, may have damaged the phone for the worse

8. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh..yeah I heard about the water sensor turning colors. However, I'm not able to locate it so my curiosity is driving me wild. Just wanted to know if I might be THAT lucky to still have a white sensor you know :l

&so if I had probably damaged the phone, do you think it's bad enough to just have completely disfuctioned the phone by now? :(

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

theres one located in the headphone port at the bottom that you can see in good lighting

10. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I see it now ): I see a dab of pink and a dab of white? What does that mean? Do you think any Apple members would feel sympathy for me...?

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

means its been wet

you can always try but i wouldnt count on any sympathy as it wasnt their fault

12. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if it's supposed to be ALL pink or is pink/white the whole meaning of submerged in water? :( Will they not even exchange it if they see a LITTLE pink?

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's how it's supposed to be. Half white/pink.

14. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Well you can always try for a replacement. You have one thing going for you, that being you're a female. Now if you're really hot, then you got a chance.

15. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

ahahah and find a guy who looks like they'll smile the whole conversation with you right ? lol :) well i'm not going to give them a lie so i hope telling the truth will bring back good karma.

16. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

The truth, a low cut top, short skirt, and high heels will buy you a lot of good karma:D

17. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

I'd put some whiteout on a matchstick and shove it down the headphone jack. lol...

18. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure if i want to risk doing that just in case i damage it even more or something :l

19. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

There's another one inside the phone too. So being sneaky won't get you far.

20. xbabiiecakkes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeahh I assumed... :( I saw a red light flashing out of the 3 circle things.