iPhone 3G survived dive into toilet but camera didn't make it (HELP!!!)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Carlisimo!, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Carlisimo! macrumors newbie

so to make a very long story short, my iphone made it through a fall into the toilet thanks to a bag of rice!!!

the phone was working fine after three days but the camera doesn't work now :(

i know i'm lucky that thats the only thing that messed up but i wanted to know if anyone has successfully changed a camera on their iphone

i've found a ton of sites that sell the replacement cameras but im not sure if i dare to try it...

another question i have is: since you can replace the cameras, would it be possible to replace it with a 3GS 3mp camera?!

thanks! i would really appreciate the advice :)

2. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

If I were you I would check out some videos on how to swap out the cam. I've opened up a 1st Gen iPhone before and It was fairly easy to remove the camera unit.

It's probably a good idea to stick with the original hardware. I doubt it's even possible to throw the 3GS cam in there anyway.

3. apc0243 macrumors newbie

apc0243

No, the pin connectors that connect the 3G are compeltely different from those of the 3GS (even though they look similar).

Taking apart the iPhone is a process and it is very difficult if you have no experience.

I suggest this is you want step by step directions for the disassembly. Reassembly is another issue that I found to be very difficult.

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/iphone3g/iphone3grepairguide.html

4. Carlisimo! thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! that was very helpful

i've found some videos on how to disassemble it but none of them have a "reassembly" explanation.

im just scared that i'll gut it and then not be able to put it back together

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The other thing you should be scared of is that you go to all this trouble and either break something else taking it apart or something is messed up on the logic board and replacing the camera doesn't fix it.

6. PimpLeon520 macrumors newbie

so i dropped my iphone today with a silicon case on it
    and it just so happen to drop it either just before i click the shutter button or as i clicked it.

a couple hours later i tried to take a picture with it and as i click the shutter buton it makes the shutter noise and it does that litte screen it shows before the picture is taken and gets stuck on that screen.
    is my camera toast or is there something i can dooo.

[​IMG]
    pic related Screen it gets stuck on

7. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Same thing happened to me today
    (which is why I am browsing this and other similar threads).
    I was helping my son of 3 yrs to the toilet, bent down over it and
    lost my 3gs out of my chest pocket. :eek:
    It was in the toilet for about five seconds before my hand dove to the rescue.
    After about two-three seconds the screen turned on by itself
    (does the Iphone have a smell alert?).
    There was a dim red light (three small leds) to the left of the ear speaker,
    which as i understand it is a special "wet alert".

I couldn't start drying it ´til later, since my car also broke down today :eek: :mad:

But the moment I was back home, I dissasembeled into two parts and
    sat it infront of the oven with a fan blowing warm air onto it.
    It is currently drying, and I am building curage to try and turn it on.

Here's a good guide on how to dissasemb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-e-FWUcJN4&feature=related
    and reassemb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6HjbGCtqE&feature=related

best of luck to you,

P

8. Carlisimo! thread starter macrumors newbie

I Fixed It!!!!

so i finally got around to buying the replacement cam from ebay... it was only $6 and change and IT WORKS!!!!!

the whole process of taking the phone appart and changing the camera and then putting it back together probably took like 20-30 mins

Im a broke college student so I'm glad i could fix it for so cheap

WARNINGS that I wish I had received:
    1. be very VERY careful with ribbon 3, thats the one that connects the touch screen sensors to the actual phone so if u mess that up or put it back in it can mess up the sensors so that certain parts of the screen dont detect touch. Look at it very carefuly or even better, take a pic before you take it apart so that you know how to put it back in

2. take your time!!! look at every ribbon you take off before you do so that you know exactly how they go

GOOD LUCK to anyone who tries it...

MAN!!! just another reason why this phone is the best piece of technology, it survived a fall in the toilet and countless drops on concrete and it still works like the day i got it... heres a pic i took right after i finished, hearing that shutter again was the best sound in the world (oh, how i had missed it)

Attached Files: