iPhone 3G sync & backup issues after HDD replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HMoth84, Sep 11, 2008.

1. HMoth84 macrumors newbie

HMoth84

I've been fortunate in that I haven't had any real issues syncing my iPhone 3G to my Macbook Pro until yesterday. I upgraded my HDD to a Scorpio Black and performed a clean format and install. Leopard is running just fine, speedier in fact. However, my iPhone doesn't sync correctly with iTunes anymore (version 8.0).

The iPhone connects to the computer and can be seen in iTunes, however none of my updated playlists or podcasts will transfer over, even though the iPhone and iTunes says the sync completed (with no error message). I can still play my previously purchased music on the iPhone; I de-authorized my computer before installing the new HDD.

Also, I noticed that in the "Device backups" field in preferences, my iPhone is listed as "Unknown" and with a date of "12/31/00 7:00PM." I've tried deleting it and syncing to no avail.

I've looked everywhere and cannot find a solution, though I have seen others with similar issues. Any help is greatly appreciated; I've tried to be thorough, but please ask me if there's something I can describe to better help you help me.

2. HMoth84 thread starter macrumors newbie

HMoth84

Not sure what did it...

Just a quick update...not too sure what did it, but after fooling around for a while I have been able to get my iPhone 3G to sync again (thankfully).

It could've been a combination of things I've tried, but here's what I have done: unchecked automatic backup of iPhone/iPod Touches in preferences, erased all backups, restart the iPhone, switch USB ports. It's strange because I've been doing much of this already and still had errors, but it seems to have gone away...my computer did ask to submit crash information to Apple when it finally synced correctly, though.

Before all this, my backups took less than 5 minutes, now more than 25...this could be attributed to starting the backups from fresh.

Anyway, just wanted to update this thread. Hope I was able to contribute even just a little to the forums...I spend so much time reading all the great tips and I hardly add anything myself. I'll try to fix that...