iPhone 3G takes FOREVER to back up in iTunes now...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Jul 18, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Every time I synch my iPhone, iTunes automatically backs it up. This was usually a fast process with my 2G phone, but the new one takes like 20+ minutes to back up. Is this normal? I'm assuming it has to do with 2.0 software and apps. Anyway to speed this up?

2. Renegade89 macrumors member

I think it has something to do with the new software, not the 3G, cause my old iPhone takes forever to sync too. It takes like anywhere from 5-20 minutes, its ridiculous. I hope 2.0.1 comes out sometime relatively soon.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

20 minutes??? Wow! Mine only takes about 5 maybe 10 minutes max.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Is this time related to the number of Applications you have installed?

Mine takes only a minute or two, but I only have a couple of small applications loaded.

5. w00tini macrumors 6502a

the long backup times are due to iTunes backing up your applications every time you sync. its something Apple needs to address. but rest assured, it's happening to all of us.

6. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

i wouldnt whine about 20 min, my takes hours upon hours to backup :mad:

7. ec51 macrumors 6502

I am not sure if everyone is aware but you can simply cancel the backup and continue with the rest of the sync by checking the "X" next to the progress bar in iTunes.

8. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

My Iphone 3G is taking about 2-3 hours now if I let it do a full backup!!! But the only thing is, if you click the x to stop the backup you also lose all backups if you have to restore the phone. You start from scratch. I hope they make it only backup the changes since last time in the next Itunes release.

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Mine only has a few as well but it goes in waves it seems

Sometimes it takes 1-2 minutes, other times in takes 10-15 :eek:

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have seen other people reporting that the issue may be related to the option to transmit crash report data back to Apple. I also noticed that after particularly hard crash last week, my backup took considerably longer than normal.

I suppose this could be compounded by your internet speed, and how much crash report data it sends.

In my case, I couldn't even get the phone to shutdown, and ended up having to hold the sleep button down until it powered off. With the next sync, the backup went from 1-2 minutes to almost 10 minutes...

Subsequent backups have been back to 1-2 minutes, even after updating a couple of applications.

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

And that corrupts your one and only back up in the process.

See the other thread in the help section for more.