Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cristian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
El Paso, TX
I just got the iPhone 3g 8 gig the 21st.. I been having problems receiving text from basically anyone who doesn't have AT&T.. Anyone have any thoughts?? Help would be greatly appreciated.. It has the latest update also..

iEric87

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
I just got the iPhone 3g 8 gig the 21st.. I been having problems receiving text from basically anyone who doesn't have AT&T.. Anyone have any thoughts?? Help would be greatly appreciated.. It has the latest update also..

You port your number over from a different carrier....let's say Verizon or Alltel? That is a known issue with port overs. Call customer care and have them reset your account.

iEric87

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
no I didn't port any number.. It's a new number.. New contract..

Will reseting the account work?

Yes it will. But if you did NOT port over a number than the cause may be just a bad text message plan added to the account. Have them take off and re-add your text message plan first. If that doesn't work have them reset the account.

From my understanding, you are able to send out text messages ok, correct? Receive phone calls and make phone calls, correct?

UPDATE: In what manner were your features added to the account? Did ATT add your features right from their PC or did they have to call them in for some reason? Calling in iPhone features is the WORST possible thing that can be done...only creates problems it seems.

CitiuS

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Were you able to solve this problem??

stieny

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
I had this problem when I first joined AT&T over 2 years ago. It had nothing to do with the phone I had at that particular time. It was some kind of error with my account.

I spent a lot of time talking to customer service on the phone and in the store. They finally switched my number and sim card and re-activated my account. It has been fine ever since.

I would go into a store with a friend that has a different carrier. Then you can have your friend text you and have them sort it out right there.Thats what I ended up doing.

Good luck.

Tattooz

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Maine
I had this problem when I first joined AT&T over 2 years ago. It had nothing to do with the phone I had at that particular time. It was some kind of error with my account.

I spent a lot of time talking to customer service on the phone and in the store. They finally switched my number and sim card and re-activated my account. It has been fine every since.

I would go into a store with a friend that has a different carrier. Then you can have your friend text you and have them sort it out right there.Thats what I ended up doing.

Good luck.

Thanks I have been doing alot of searching and thats what I keep finding. I guess I need to go to AT+T and have my account reset.....
Thanks Stieny, Hey your not in Henniker NH are you?

stieny

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Thanks I have been doing alot of searching and thats what I keep finding. I guess I need to go to AT+T and have my account reset.....
Thanks Stieny, Hey your not in Henniker NH are you?

No problem. And no, I'm in Pittsburgh, PA.

24bbrou

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
hOPE DIS WORKS

The reason is because u have to reset da settings on your iPhone, I have a iPhone 3gs and mine does that, call 1-800-iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.