iPhone 3G Thicker...The Reason??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, Jun 23, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I am trying for the life of me to find the picture of the new iPhone plastic back shell. I am unable to locate it, but I had a thought based on what I remember of the shell.

The interior dimensions of the new iPhone may actually be the same thickness or even thinner as compared to the Gen 1. I think the thicker exterior of the phone (width, height, depth) are due to the plastic back only and not the need to incorporate the new chip(s).

With the metal, it allowed Apple to place a thinner shell around it, but with plastic, Apple would have the iPhone feeling like a milk jug if they didn't thicken her up.

Thoughts...

EDIT: I found it courtesy of iLounge.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
  2. angel1286 macrumors member

maybe but if that were true wouldn't the phone have a flat back like the current model and not have thinner edges and thicker in the middle?

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think that the plastic and metal are just about the same thickness. This is a very different plastic than what milk jugs are made from, and thin metal bends waaaaay more than thin plastic.

4. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I was thinking that technology has come along and made the interior components smaller, which allowed Apple to thin out edges, but kept the core (center) the same interior depth.

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Isn't there a side profile photo at apple.com front page? Are you talking about the back removed from the phone?

I'm guessing maybe the more comfortable curve might have forced it out a bit for just design, unless it was new chips, or possibly room for the next iphone's hardware, or the plastic was thicker than the metal back.

But either way, I hear people say the plastic back helps with call quality and GPS. So maybe metal just should not be used with a cell phone to begin with.

6. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

There was a picture that appeared to be the inside shot of the new back. I think the picture (if real) explains why the phone is thicker as the casing appeared a bit on the heavy side (thick).

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

but i thought that the inside components might be thicker because they had to include GPS on this one

8. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

You realize the 3G iPhone is only 0.7mm thicker right?

Do you know how small that difference is? I would think you wouldn't notice it at all.

In fact people that had some hands on time with the new phone claim that it fits in the hand better and that it gives the illusion of thinness.

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i would think that it would feel better because of the curve fitting the curvature of your palm

10. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I dont care about that. Its not even noticable. And if the call quality is better, than Im on board. Thicker is better lol.

11. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I was not concerned with how much thicker it was. This thread was just to point out that the minor increase in size may be related to the back and not the components inside. I am not complaining about the new phone in anyway (except that it is missing a front camera), I am very excited to pick one up.

12. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

What is the deal with ppl being sad that there is no front facing camera? The phone I have now has the camera on the back and not really caring much about it.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

im pretty sure it comes down to ergonomics. Jobs worded the keynote very carefully to say how "amazing it FEELS it you hand".

14. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Um' what else would he say? "It just doesn'y feel quite right, this new phone"?