iPhone 3g Times out while sync to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dschlicht, Dec 1, 2009.

1. dschlicht macrumors newbie

Issue:
    while syncing with iTunes, iTunes gives error message that device has timed out therefore cannot find the disc to write to.

Hardware involved:
    iPhone 3g with latest firmware
    Windows box with latest iTunes
    USB 2.0 on machine

More info:
    This is a new issue starting a few days ago. Troubleshooting that I have done prior to this post is reloaded my iPhone to factory settings (2 times), tried multiple USB Ports, Completely un-installed iTunes and re-installed... Have not tried to sync on another machine, and would prefer not to, but I guess I am willing too should it be required.

I have searched the Google machine prior to this post and have not come up with any useful tips on this issue that are of benefit to me.

Is there anyone else out there that have had this problem, and have overcome it? if so please let me know, in detail, how you did it.

thanks,

_dan

2. dschlicht thread starter macrumors newbie

I seemed to have found a solution.

I have switched cables which I use to sync my iPhone. Failure came from using 3rd party USB Cable. Using OEM Apple Cable my iPhone was able to sync just fine.

This sort of blows my mind a bit... Assuming cable was the reason for failure that would have meant I have only used OEM Cable to sync? This is either an intermittent problem, or my 3rd party cable is bad.

thanks,

_dan