iPhone 3G to 3GS upgrade - Switch with Wife?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xibalba, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Xibalba macrumors 6502

Xibalba

My wife and I both have iPhone 3G phones (and have since July 08). The speaker in my iphone is dead and I have tried everything online to fix short of opening the iPhone. My wife is eligible for the $199 upgrade to the 3GS but I am not and have to wait until March 2010 or pay $399 now.

If I upgrade her line to the iPhone 3GS (for $199 and new 2-year contract of course), can I use the new iPhone 3GS instead of her by just simply using my sim card from my current 3G (with the bad speaker) and restoring a backup from iTunes when the 3GS arrives? And no, she does not care - I have already asked her.

My main question is just if there is any way AT&T ties the online account info on hardware with the sim card to where if it shows that I should be using the 3G and not the 3GS if we will have any problems. I don't think there will be any problems, but I need much more expert advice. Thanks.

2. vespoli macrumors member

3. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I've done this with my wife, AT&T will actually assist you. Just explain which lines are going to be on which phones at the time of the upgrade and they will make the appropriate arrangements.

4. army91c macrumors 6502a

I used my brother's upgrade to get my wife her 3gs. His wife wouldn't let him have iPhone any more.... cost issue. I bought him a motorola and bought a new 3gs. My wife is happy, my sister in law is happy, brother got a new phone for free every body wins. Now my wife is due for an update in June 2010 and you know what's going on right around there don't you? :D

5. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Go into the Apple store and ask them if they know how to fix it. Perhaps you'll find a nice genius that'll just swap it.