iPhone 3G to 4.1 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Oct 20, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an iP4 but my wife now has my 3G. I never upgraded her phone to 4.x b/c of all the stories on performance, and some say 4.1 took care of that while others I guess say it is still slow.

But I have two questions regarding running 4.1 on a 3G, both of which will be quite crucial to her, and if they don't work/aren't supported on the 3G, then it doesn't make sense to upgrade.

1. The 3G does not support Multitasking. I know this. Does it provide any way to screen lock orientation? It drives her crazy that the iPhone switches to landscape cover flow when she sets it down on a table or her car seat or something.

2. Does the update for AVRCP Bluetooth controls for track controls on bluetooth headphones work with a 3G in 4.1? This is one of the features I wanted for so long and was happy to finally get on my iP4 in 4.1. But will 4.1 give her AVRCP on a 3G?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. No, their is no way to lock orientation without multitasking on 4.1, but if you Option + Update (shift + update on windows) to 4.0, 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, you can use the reds0now jailbreak to add only multitasking/customer wallpaper (no cydia), you will get the lock orientation plus multitasking. You won't have the performance boost from 4.1, so you get some/loose some.

2. I don't know this one.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I think if she can get the AVRCP controls, which I think she can, she'll just have to live with the lack of screen lock until she actually decides she wants an iP4.

However, I am really disappointed in the Screen Lock feature myself. The only thing I use it for is to stop Cover Flow in iPod. There should be an option in the iPod settings to screen lock just that app. I have no desire to screen lock the whole phone and so I find myself screen locking it while I am listening to music but then having to unlock it at some later point when a photo or video or email won't turn landscape.

4. heatherlovesmac macrumors newbie

It's still slow, but there is a definite improvement.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree with you on the locking just cover flow. I know Apple is not big on giving the user options, but they give you the ability to turn this feature off in the 4th/5th generation iPod nano, so I'm sure the iOS is more than capable of this ability.