iPhone 3G to Edge switching

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nikhsub1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I noticed today while at a friends house who has a first generation iPhone that he had FULL signal strength while I had NONE on 3G. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even place a call. My point is, isnt the phone supposed to dynamically switch between 3G and Edge? I had to manually turn 3G off and once I did, I got full strength signal in Edge. Suffice to say, this is quite annoying... Now, I guess my question is this; is this a hardware thing, a software issue, an ATT issue or an Apple issue? One last thing of note, sometimes where the 3G/Edge icon is I see just a dot. I have no idea what significance this dot has anyone know? TIA.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your phone was more than likely getting a very minor 3G signal, but not enough for 1 bar. The software is likely set up to use 3G until it gets 0 signal, not whether 3G or EDGE is stronger.

TEG

3. nikhsub1 thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

So is this something that can be altered by Apple in a software patch? Any idea what the 'dot' is?

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

A month later, but oh well.

I was searching Google for this and came across the answer to the blue square/white dot question, and then I saw this thread in the search results.

The dot means that you have no EDGE coverage, so it falls back to GPRS. For me, it shows up occasionally for a few seconds then goes back to EDGE. As for what GPRS is, it goes like this: 3G > EDGE > GPRS.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sure. I dunno about the dot.