iPhone 3G to iPhone 4S - new phone or backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by atrox, Oct 18, 2011.

1. atrox macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I am upgrading from an iPhone 3G to a 4S. I was wondering if it would be better to restore my iPhone 4S from a 3G backup or to start the 4S as a new phone. I've heard restoring from an older phone can cause some problems. However since I can't sync my contacts and stuff to iCloud on my current phone, if I started the 4S as a new phone, I would have to manually enter all of my contacts again. Is there a way to start the 4S as a new phone, and sync my contacts and maybe even SMS?

Which is the better route to take?

2. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I just went from a 3G to 4S and I went the restore route. I'm glad I did, I have all my history and no problems. Go with the restore option.

3. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I went from 3GS to 4S. Restored from the backup of my 3GS & had no issues. I hadn't even bothered to update the 3GS to ios5 first.

4. atrox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

I was all set on just restoring from the backup but the guys over at Tested.com mentioned on a podcast and their iphone 4s hands on video that you should not go about it that way.

5. CdnMacJen macrumors member