Iphone 3g TONS of conflicting posts...need truth!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johnstaboii, Jul 19, 2009.

1. johnstaboii macrumors member

Ok so I am trying desperately to figure out by the first of august when I am eligible for a new iphone if its at all possible to do pay per use internet.

So theres posts like this:
    -http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6111493&postcount=24

then theres posts like this:
    -also http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6111493&postcount=24

So all in all here is my final question. How does ATT data sweep work? Can they tell your IMEI number in their sweeps? Is it possible to attach an IMEI to an account then take out the sim and put it in an iphone? Also is ATT following up on these threatening messages saying they are gonna add the $30 data plan? Please any help would be great! Thanks!!

2. johnstaboii thread starter macrumors member

so not one person could possibly give me any input? Please I need to know soon!

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

They've also sent warnings that the other data plans won't even work with the iPhone anymore. I wouldn't attempt it, it could stop working at anytime. Just pay the $30. If you can't afford it, then don't get the iPhone.

4. johnstaboii thread starter macrumors member

I just want pay per use internet then to have it disable. It's not fair any other phone does not require you to have a data plan but the iphone does...so is it possible or not?

5. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

The first post you quoted looks right to me. However, beware, your iPhone will rack up a lot of data usage without you even knowing it.

6. johnstaboii thread starter macrumors member

well actually I plan on disabling the data when i get the phone. These are my real questions though which have yet to be answered:

"So all in all here is my final question. How does ATT data sweep work? Can they tell your IMEI number in their sweeps? Is it possible to attach an IMEI to an account then take out the sim and put it in an iphone? Also is ATT following up on these threatening messages saying they are gonna add the $30 data plan? Please any help would be great! Thanks!!"

7. Acronym macrumors 68000

i dont see how apple can "make you" sign up for a service when i signed on with rogers for the 3G i said i didnt want data so they never made me get a data plan.

but then i went with a cheap plan almost a year later

8. johnstaboii thread starter macrumors member

well actually with att when you sign up and get the discounted iphone they say that you have to pay for the data plan