iPhone 3G Top Volume Button not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Stephen2010, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Stephen2010 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am repairing a relatives iPhone 3G which was dropped onto the ground. I have had to replace the LCD and I now have to replace the proximity sensor and possibly the ear speaker. However the top volume button doesn't work, the bottom one works fine it's just the top one. I have disassembled and I can't see any physical damage to the cable from the volume buttons.

It's not software since I have updated it to latest IOS and then set up as a new phone after deleting any backups stored through iTunes.

I'm thinking I will need to replace the entire volume/headphone jack/power button component, is this correct?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope you're not spending alot of money replacing all those things on an iphone 3G.
    Mind as well get a new iphone or buy a used one IMO.

3. Stephen2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the LCD cost £11.99, the proximity sensor and ribbon cost £5.99 and a new volume/mute/audio jack/power button component will only cost another £5.99. It's just the inconvenience, I had to wait for the LCD before I could determine what else was damaged to order those. Everything else works. Just wondering if anyone had an idea as to why the top volume button doesn't work when the bottom one does.