iPhone 3G touch screen sometimes unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stevemarks, Jun 14, 2010.

  1. stevemarks macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    #1
    I've had my iPhone 3G for almost two years now, and just a week ago I began noticing that sometimes when I pressed on the touch screen it would not respond. The phone was jailbroken at the time, so I decided to do a restore, assuming that it was a buggy software sort of issue.

    Unfortunately, the restore did not resolve the problem, and over the last two days the problem seemed to get worse. Generally, when this issue happens, the entire screen will become unresponsive to touch, and I need to press the sleep/lock button on top and then slide the slider a few times to re-awaken the phone. If that doesn't work (the "slide to unlock" does not slide), I'll try it again a couple more times. 75% of the time I can get it to work again this way. The other 25% of the time I need to do a hard reset by holding down the sleep/lock button and home button for 10 seconds. This generally clears up the problem temporarily.

    Last night I did a DFU restore and set it up as a brand new phone with the hopes that whatever software issue might be there would be remedied. It wasn't -- the same issues are happening. I'm thinking about grabbing an iPhone 4 in a few weeks when it comes out since it seems now that I have a hardware problem on my hands. Anyone have ideas for me on what to do?
     
  2. stevemarks thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    #2
    Anybody? If anyone has any thoughts or help for me it would be really appreciated. Thanks!

    Steve
     
  3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2009
    #3
    A new digitizer will fix that, I am confident or maybe a re-seat of the digitizer connector - I would try that first. I would say though, that if the phone as been abused, sometimes the electronics on the logic board can play up too - I have seen this and have been unable to resolve it.
     
  4. stevemarks thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    #4
  5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2009
    #5
    Yes that is the one. Be careful though, you can do a lot of damage if heavy handed.
     

Share This Page