iPhone 3G trade up for 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iHarrison, Jun 17, 2009.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

I just saw on Macrumors that Apple is eliminating the extra $200 to upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS...

1) is this a limited time offer that is only available if you do it around or on 3G S launch date?

2) What happens when you do this? Do you literally trade in your 3G iPhone to the Apple store and walk out with a 3G S in its place? Or do you get to keep both models?

Thanks!

iHarrison

2. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

hey man! I went to the UW;) you get to keep your old phone and get a new one (its not a trade in). the new deal is that you have to sign a new 2 year contract. also, this deal will not apply to you if you spend less than $99 per month on you att bill. sorry man.... att is the devil

3. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

oh darn...i missed the less than $99/month detail...crap!

oh well...thanks anyway!

that's awesome haha! I actually JUST got accepted into UW Madison and am enrolling and attending this fall...really stoked! You still in the Madison area?

4. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

I'm pretty sure there's no deal "eliminating the extra $200 to upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS." The deal that AT&T has announced is that it will allow certain users - who were [until today] not allowed to purchase a new phone at a subsidized price - to purchase the iPhone 3GS at the subsidized $199/$299 as though they were not in any contract.

There's no trade involved, it's just something AT&T is doing to encourage people to get the new phone and extend their contract.

Come on man, I don't get this attitude. People who aren't eligible for an upgrade KNEW they wouldn't be when they signed their 2-year contract. There should be no surprises here... I'm genuinely surprised and impressed that AT&T is allowing early subsidized pricing for these users.

5. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Its worse than $99. Its $99 per line not including taxes. Your total bill could be well above $99 and still not meet the criteria.

6. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

I had looked into this on apple's site though and it was made out to sound like if I bought a 3GS in August and upgraded then, I wouldn't get hit with the $200 fee attached...I'd be able to buy at base value...to my knowledge I pay around $85/month for service but I'm also on a family plan (don't know if the family plan makes a diff?)