iphone 3G turns Off and On after "sleep/lock"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fbi90909, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fbi90909 macrumors newbie

i searched but couldn't find anything really related to my issue.

well, my 3G 8GB took a dive in sink water and pretty much came out in working condition after 4 days of sitting on my hot comcast box in a ziplock bag of rice. everything dried and the phone booted up like normal.
    recently(about a week ago) the phone started acting up. the Sleep/Lock button is not functioning anymore.
    when the phone Auto sleeps/locks, it will shut itself down and go into a cycle of trying to turn itself on for 5 seconds showing the Apple logo then shut off repeating itself indefinitely until the battery drains.
    when in the cycle you cannot hold the Sleep/Lock button w/ Home button to hard reboot it since the S/L button doesn't respond anymore.
    here's where it gets a little weird. you can connect it to a wall charger or computer and it will maintain the phone in a normal operation even when it auto sleeps/locks, but as soon as you disconnect it, the Power off slider will come from the top trying to shut the phone down. even if you press cancel, it'll then shut it down after it sleeps/locks and go into it's cycle. reconnect it to wall or computer and it'll boot right up to normal status.
    so with that i decided to open it all up and look at the headphone/lock ribbon. i noticed that some of the little square resistor looking things were hazy on the ribbon. everything else looks alright.
    so, i disconnected the headphone/lock ribbon and re assembled the phone. after i connected the phone to the computer it booted up. as soon as i disconnected it the Power off slider appeared.
    now lets say i set the auto sleep/lock to Never. the phone will literally stay on w/o every going into it's cycle

thoughts on the issue? anyone ever experience this and have a fix? i was thinking of replacing the headphone/lock ribbon but by the way it still flips out even if the ribbons disconnected has me thinking.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The issue is water damage.
    You never know where exactly the problem or problems might be with shorts etc...
    I wouldnt suggest putting any money or guessing what component needs to be replaced cause it might get expensive.
    Bring it to Apple and replace it for $200.

3. fbi90909 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn. might have to.

on a side note, i decided to see how fast the phone shuts off by playing music so i turned Pandora on. oddly, it auto slept/locked and continued playing music w/o ever turning off.
    i let it run for about 20 minutes like that.
    i then turned off pandora and it went back into it's cycle.
    re-opened pandora, and it sat there like normal.
    so now, i set pandora on pause, let it sit there in sleep, and it didn't go into it's cycle.
    i suppose for the time being i'll jailbreak it back up and set it up with backgrounder/kirikae and find an app that will consume very little memory/battery and see if that will keep the phone in check until i can get it replaced.

4. iFixYouri macrumors member

There are companies that do flat rate water damage repair. Usually about $99-$125 USD.

Sounds like the flex cable that controls the power button is damaged and needs replacement. You may even get away with just repairing the the power button if you're trying to save some $$$.

If you want to salvage your phone and save some cash, i'd go this route