iPhone 3G UK Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shan21, Nov 19, 2008.

1. shan21 macrumors regular

i got 4 questions for a iphone 3G on pay as you go

1. when there is a software unlock and say i want to put a orange sim card in it will i still get 3G internet or do i have to buy a orange browsing package

2. does the back smudge easily when you put fingerprints on it like the 1st gen ipod nano

3. is it better to buy from the 02 store or carphone warehouse so if a error or fault comes up they will fix or replace it with no problem

4. i will jailbreak it when i buy it and put cydia and installer on it and can i use the 02 sim card they supply with the iphone 3g for it and work with no problems

2. iPhoneRoxUK macrumors newbie

Should work fine. But beware - in point 3, for example - they won't replace or repair it if it's jailbroken. Jailbreaking carries its own risks but is generally safe enough. But I'm not chancing it!#

Hope this helps :)

3. ShepUK macrumors member

Assuming the 3G *is* eventually unlocked... internet service is linked to your sim. If you take out the provided sim, you're effectively tossing away the 12 months of free 3G internet/BT openzone access, and you'd need to buy an alternative data package from your new network provider.

The 3G has a coloured plastic back, not metal like the 1st gen nano. It still smudges, but isn't as noticable on plastic.

4. shan21 thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone recommend a good back cover so it hides the back

5. BrokenHearts macrumors newbie

Just a note that if you jailbrake your iPhone it does not unlock it to allow you to use another network sim, it gets around the "Activation" of the phone.

I jailbroke my iPhone (though i got mine from Oz) and i purchased an adaptor card thing from any-network.com that sits against my Orange UK sim. I have a 250gb per month data package and it works perfectly fine.

You can always restore your iPhone to the current "legal" firmware by updating it through iTunes, so if there is something wrong, you can restore the iPhone to factory settings.

Do a search on the forum here for jailbreaking advice, i did and it helped, i jailbroke mine quite easily.

6. shan21 thread starter macrumors regular

when i get my iphone im going to jailbreak it but if i get a fault and need to go to 02 for a repair shall i just restore to factory settings through itunes

let me know
    im getting my iphone on saturday

7. shan21 thread starter macrumors regular

i got it on friday and jailbreaked 2.1 and worked
    today i tried to jailbreak 2.2 and worked but i get no network provider or signal from 02 so should i just restore to 2.2 and if i still get no signal shall i just take it to the 02 store where i bought it