iPhone 3g unknown firmware

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DanggxAmanda, Apr 3, 2011.

1. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

I bought an iPhone 3g that is broken, screen is black but recognized in itunes in recovery mode. Is there a way I can find out the firmware so i can do a custom restore? Any suggestions on how to get the screen to work? Help....

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can run f0recast and it will tell you the firmware version and baseband installed.
    To get the screen to work you will probably have to replace it and hope its just that.

3. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

Hey again, haha. Yeah i was trying to see if it's a software issue though because i read on google people had black screens but got it to work by fixing the software.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey, hi again Amanda:)
    Not sure what the issue is but you can try some of the google black screen suggestions and see if anything works.
    If not you could try an iphone repair place to see if they can look at it and tell you exactly what's wrong with it. Not sure if you have any 3rd party iphone repair places in your area but there's even online places that you can send your phone to and would do some sort of diagnostics to it to figure out what is really wrong with it. Then they can tell you what, how much it would cost and you can decide if its worth spending they money to fix it.

5. DanggxAmanda thread starter macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

F0recast didn't work however i made a lot of progress! I downloaded all of the possible firmwares possible for the iPhone 3G and 4.2.1 worked and during the restore it gave me error 28. I googled it and it is indeed a hardware issue but i found a youtube video to fix it, it has something to do with the logic board. I'll try it out and keep you up to date! :) Thanks for all the help

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck Amanda.
    Be carefull when it comes to opening up the iphone and messing around with the logic board and other components in there though.
    If you're not confident with it I'd leave it for a trained tech.