Iphone 3g unlock and jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mwaksmundzki, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mwaksmundzki macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to unlock and jailbreak iphone 3g with ios 4.1? I would be glad if you send me a guide on how to do it. thank you

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If u went up to 4.1 you cannot unlock it. Just jb for now with redsnow.

3. mwaksmundzki thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can downgrade the firmware but not the baseband that handles the unlock part.

5. mwaksmundzki thread starter macrumors newbie

ahaa. so im pretty much stock with a jailbreak for now? that sucks, i need to unlock it. just gotta wait i guess

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

juice I know you are right 100% of the time and Im right 0% of the time but I have unlocked several 3g iPhones in the last week on 4.1.

put the iPhone in dfu mode and when you get the 1015 error in iTunes open tinyumbrella and kick out of recovery. the hit shift restore and go back to 4.0 or whatever your ipsw is you have saved. so far it has worked every time I tried it. and these are not phones with shsh saved. they have not been unlocked before. mybe I got lucky each time I dont know but it does work.....:confused:

but....I dont know what baseband they were on. but I do know they were 4.1. in most of the cases I went back to 3.1.3 then used ultrasnow to unlock them.

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you understand what OP is talking about ? OP is asking about unlocking the baseband using Ultrasn0w via Cydia to allow the use of any GSM carrier worldwide.

Your description is one of downgrading the firmware, which one of the posters already advised the OP can be done. Restoring to a former IPSW isn't unlocking.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bro, you keep saying that but its not possible to unlock the 4.1 firmware baseband 05.14.02
    Maybe you jailbroke them but you didnt unlock them using ultrasnow or any other unlocking package.
    What you're describing above is a jailbreak. Unlocking is using a Tmobile sim for example in a US iphone.
    Read:
    http://www.mobilesdna.com/news/ios-4-1-baseband-05-14-01_bl01-unlock-currently-not-possible/898/
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725672-how-using-tiny-umbrella-update-restore-8.html#post5456398

9. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

chargit edited his post.

If any iPhone was updated to 4.1 (not 4.0.1) a new unlockable baseband was installed. Ultrasn0w cannot unlock it. So, even if the firmware was restored to another version, the new unlockable baseband always remains and cannot be unlocked.

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I know exactly what the OP is referring to and I know the difference in JB and Unlock. Im saying I downgraded, then JB, then Unlocked for T-Mobile..... now maybe the baseband did not upgrade I dont know but I did unlock these phones!!

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I edited my post to ad the last paragraph that starts with but....

also DEE9299 was on the phone with me twice while I did it cause he was the one walking me through the downgrade cause I had a couple of issues. after the downgrade I used jailbreakme.com then ultrasnow.

12. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Look as of us here know and I will assume you also know that Ultrasn0w cannot unlock baseband 5.14.xx, so the phones you unlocked cannot have been updated to 4.1 firmware unless they were a iPhone 4 that was updated to 4.1 using TinyUmbrella baseband preservation feature.

Just don't want you to mislead the OP into thinking the new baseband on his 3G can be unlocked as it cannot currently be done.

I find it slightly odd you can't document what baseband (modem firmware) the phones you unlocked were on. Most of us verify five things before working on a phone:

Model: 3G, 3GS, iPhone 4
    Firmware: Current Firmware
    Baseband: Modem Firmware
    Hashes: Which hashes are available for this iDevice
    Activation: Is an original carrier sim available for re-activation (if needed)

13. mwaksmundzki thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. i guess i'll just sell it and get something else. thanks for your help

14. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

dude until you learn to read you need to just stay on the threads with pictures! this thread is about the 3g not the 4. I did say the 3g iPhones I am talking about were on 4.1. I did not check the baseband. now if you think just because you do a firmware upgrade that the baseband automatically updates you are mistaken. now maybe its supposed to but these phones do alot they are not supposed to..... I cannot say what the baseband is but they were definately 4.1 and I unlocked them with ultrasnow and they are all using tmobile and are happy as can be.

so OP it is possible if you are just willing to try it. and AGREED it is not supposed to work but then again it was supposed to rain here yesterday also.

15. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

If you say so, but I have never seen a 3G or 3GS updated to 4.1 where the baseband did not update. If you can document one, it would be important information for the jailbreak community since no one has been able to construct a hack or exploit to stop the baseband update (other than for iPhone 4). Maybe you could post a screenshot of the "About" page here.

As far as me mentioning iPhone 4 baseband preservation, I only brought it up as it is the only exception I have even read/seen documented where baseband is not updated by installing 4.1 firmware.

And the insults do not serve any purpose here.

16. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

there again you are not reading anything........I never said 3gs. I said a 3g and as far as a screen shot what would that prove? a screen shot would just show what it was. there is no way to tell that I didnt switch the phone on you. I have no idea who you are you came out of the blue and started making posts and trying to call people out. you have no clue what you are talking about. you are just repeating what you read on different blogs. while what you are saying is true you are changing a few of the facts stated and even I agree this should not work but it is..... so quit beating a dead horse!

my point is this: these 3g iPhones were definately 4.1 but I have no idea what the baseband is because I didnt look. I am not saying you can unlock 5.14 what I am saying is you can downgrade a 3g with 4.1 firmware and unlock it using ultrasnow. the baseband should upgrade when you update to a new firmware but this is not always the case. and as far as the five things you mentioned earlier. there is no need in my opinion to verify all of those things. you need to know what iPhone, and what firmware for sure. baseband most of the time but that does not usually have to happen because if the firmware is correct you can usually jb & unlock. hashes doesnt have anything to do with the initial JB & Unlock of an iphone. and activation doesnt mean anything. I have an att sim in my phone for activation so that is a non issue.

17. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, this thread turned ugly.
    Why some make these threads personal which ultimately results in name calling and insults, I just cannot understand.
    :(

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Chargit give it up bro. You are mistaken.
    What you claim is not possible. I don't know what you did, maybe it was on 4.0.2
    You cannot unlock a 3G model that's been updated to 4.1
    You are the only in the world that somehow claims to have done it.
    Baseband always updates on a 3G model when doing a stock firmware update.