iPhone 3G unlock/upgrade

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by surfkw, Apr 29, 2011.

1. surfkw macrumors member

I've been running my iPhone 3G on 4.0 for awhile now and want to upgrade to the most recent/last available software for this phone, 4.21. I am unlocked and want to make sure I keep my unlock as I'm no longer on the official carrier (even though I finished that contract and hate that there is no official unlock). I keep reading about basebands and iPad flashes and am thoroughly confused. Can I just download the latest redsn0w or pwnage tool and re-jailbrake the phone then download ultrasn0w again? My baseband is 5.13.04.
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    Sidenote: I've read I can enable Gamecenter and HDR even though they are not supported on my model, is there any point to HDR as the camera sucks so much on the 3G?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Your baseband can be cracked with the current ultrasnow. Use pwnage tool to upgrade.

3. flyingninjas macrumors member

Make sure you restore (shift-click) to a custom 4.2.1 firmware or else your baseband will update and you will not be able to unlock!!!

i think there is something you can install from cydia that installs gamecenter on your iphone

4. surfkw thread starter macrumors member

should have known better

I guess I should have left well enough alone. Now Cydia crashes on launch, I can't connect via ssh, and the iphone is not recognized when plugged in via USB. Obviously I'm unable to install ultrasn0w and unlock so my phone is basically unusable. Any suggestions? :confused:

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

hard reset the phone and it should boot up normally.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can go back to 3.1.3 without blobs. Besides, 3G works best on that iOS anyway.

7. surfkw thread starter macrumors member

got it

I just ran pwnage tool again and made a 'simpler' ipsw which worked the second time around and allowed me to run ultrasn0w. thanks!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    I'd go with that.