iphone 3G unlocked? no data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmbo, Sep 22, 2008.

1. mmbo macrumors newbie

Hi- I have been reading the forums and getting mixed messages. Is the iphone 3G currently unlockable?
    I hear that it is, and then its not. what is the rebelsim?
    I know Pwnage jailbreaks the phone.. which comes in handy for loading it up with apps.

I am looking to leave verizon [a difficult decision i must say] at the end of the month, and joining att for the iphone 3G. Personally, I dont need the data plan ($30/mon is a rip off) for TWO YEARS. I just want a plan with minutes + text msgs on the iphone 3G. What are the best options? Buying it unlocked, buy it for 1 month and terminating the contract($175) and having it unlocked (if even possible), etc?

I've checked out EBay for unlocked phones.. but i'm a little effy about them. legit? paying so much money for a phone that might not work?

thanks in advance!

2. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

If your signing with AT&T, they'll make you have the data plan. And simply if you dont have a data plan, your bill will be like 1,000+.

3. mmbo thread starter macrumors newbie

yes which is exactly why i want to try to avoid it. :D

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Actually I read AT&T pay as you go data is now capped at $100, if within USA per moth.

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

There is no software unlocking solution for the 3G. If there ever is one check the front page of this web site. It will be huge news when it happens and you won't need to dig through obscure posts to find it. It will be the hottest news on every tech site on the planet when/if it happens.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It can be confusing if people aren't clear.

There are iPhones sold factory unlocked in certain countries, and phone that are SIM-unlocked, which is a sometimes unreliable method. A reliable method of software-unlocking of iPhone 3Gs sold carrier-locked has not been developed yet.

Depending on what eBay sellers say (and how truthful they are), you may get a genuine factory-unlocked phone from France, Hong Kong, or any of the other countries that sell it, or you may get a locked phone with an unlocking SIM. Generally speaking, the genuine factory-unlocked phones are much more expensive, because the carriers aren't subsidizing the cost.

Also, if you buy through AT&T, they will not unlock it even if you buy out your contract. It's not even clear yet if they will unlock it when people get to the end of their two year contract. Anyway, point is, if you want to be guaranteed an unlocked iPhone right now, the original is your best bet.

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Some indeed are unlocked but the question was are they unlockable. The answer is no. Though I see your point.

8. iphonecode macrumors member

9. coolb0yalex macrumors member

it can be... but there are no solutions to help the everyday consumers right now.