iPhone 3G Unresponsive Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vascobrown, Apr 29, 2011.

1. vascobrown macrumors newbie

So, my girlfriend dropped her iPhone 3G and cracked the screen about a week ago. She had previously cracked the screen and paid $60+ to have it repaired at a local mom and pop shop. After finding a front glass/digitizer repair kit on Amazon for 7 bucks (including shipping), I figured I could fix it myself for less.

I received the kit (new front glass, digitizer, screwdrivers and spudgers) on Monday and set to work. It took a bit of delicate work but I was able to replace the screen and put everything back together in working order.

Unfortunately, after turning the phone back on for the first time I realized that in the process of putting the LCD back in I had cracked it causing bleed spot about the size of an aspirin. At this point, and for the next three days, the screen, and all other functions of the phone worked fine - except for the bright white spot on the LCD.

This afternoon, however, my girlfriend called from work and said that she was unable to unlock her phone because the screen was not responding to touch. I picked up the phone and confirmed that the bottom half of the digitizer is unresponsive, while the top picked up input just fine.

Thinking that one of the connectors might have come loose, I reopened the phone, reseated all the connectors. I had also received the new LCD this afternoon ($21 including shipping), so I replaced that as well and closed everything back up. When the phone turn back on, the new LCD worked beautifully, but the lower half of the digitizer was still unresponsive.

I did a Google search to see if anyone else had had a similar problem and the only suggestion I was able to find was to hard reset the phone and then do a restore. Unfortunately, this has not helped.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just chalk this up to a faulty digitizer and buy another online?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Most likely, the digitizer is defective and you will have to buy another one.

3. vascobrown thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if they sent me a 3GS digitizer rather than the 3G they described on the store page. I haven't been able to find any part numbers online to make a comparison.

4. tenshin5426 macrumors newbie

you will most likely find that its an inferior quality part, poorly manufactured in china somewhere