iphone 3G Update 2.0.2 Tip

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esayasene, Aug 21, 2008.

1. esayasene macrumors newbie

I updated to the iphone 2.0.2 software and had more problems like a lot of people. I restored the iphone to the original setting after updating it to the latest version. It went from 1 weak bar or no service to 3+ bars after the restore. The update didn't fix it it completely but I have 3x the signal as before. Give it a try!

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Actually, you have three times the bar count you had before. It's not necessarily indicative of the quality of the signal, though. Still, it's interesting that it seems to have made any change at all.

3. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

It's been explained somewhere before, but the newest firmware FOOLS you into thinking you have a "better" signal. It make the bars more sensitive to the signal (doesn't mean the signal is stronger). Thus when you might have had 2 bars before, now you have 4 bars, but the signal is unchanged.

People are complaining about low signals (bars), so apple tricks people into thinking that they all of a sudden have a better signal. I'm not saying that the bars are twice as they used to be, just an example.

4. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Well in my area this appears to be completely false. I put my phone on the USB cable, noted the number of bars, updated firmware, when it was done guess what...# of bars was EXACTLY the same. This was on not one but 2 phones. I think its all in peoples heads...

5. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

With some of the horror stories i'm reading about updating to 2.0.2, i'm terrified to update. So i won't. Normally i jump on iPod/iPhone updates. I usually wait to update on my other Apple products but now i feel i have to be just as cautious with updating the iPhone.

When the new version comes out, anyone know how it would update? Would i have to first do the 2.0.2? I hope not.

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

This was exactly my experience. I had no major problems prior to 2.0.2 and I have none since. The update went smoothly. I don't know how long it took as I started it before sitting down to dinner and it was done when I got back, which was about 45 minutes later.

7. SoSII macrumors member

no problems with 2.02 here - Not sure what it did. Certainly didnt affect 3G signal which was zero before and zero afterwards..

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't go through the trouble to push out an update just to "fool" us... imagine the negative impact on Apple's reputation.

9. esayasene thread starter macrumors newbie

It isn't fooling you if you originally had no signal and can drive around town with full bars with no drop.

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Well, you didn't say that in the post I quoted. I'm glad it seemed to help your signal issues.

11. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I'm in exactly the same boat and would love to know the answer, too...

12. artofdesign macrumors member

Ditto.

And my keypad / texting hasn't been delayed like it was before the update, hopefully that stays that way.

13. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple's reputation could get any worse this past month.

Microsoft must be laughing their arses off.